Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Administrator

A wee little 5 inch Color set

I picked up this Philip Magnavox 5" Color set today, I was actually kind of surprised it was Color, other than the length (about 10") it looked like another one of those cheap B&W sets, the Color and Tint controls are on the back next to the Vertical and Horiz.

It works fine but the picture isn't very bright even though the Brightness and Contrast are fully up, it may just be the nature of it since the picture looks fine otherwise, it has the Red or Green line on the screen for tuning in channels, Red for VHF Green for UHF.

I also picked up another 5" B&W Jellybean set, this one is in an Electric Blue translucent case.
These were $3.00 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg philipmagcolor1.jpg (34.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg philipmagcolor2.jpg (24.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg philipmagcolor3.jpg (22.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg globaltv.jpg (22.1 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-21-2012, 07:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

That was a great score on the color Magnavox! I have a 5" Magnavox RD0510C that just stopped working a few years ago - went to turn it on, and nothing. The power supply is good, and I can't find any bad caps inside, and all transistors test good - driving me crazy as to why I can't figure out what is wrong.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have two of those little Maggots. Seems to be a decent performer. Even came with the proper wall-wart power supply. For two bucks a copy, I can't leave them there.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Not a bad set! I think those were "CRT disposal" models to get rid of the 5" tube inventory, much like the cheapie RCA CTC-20 (actually was a CTC-39 with a roundie retrofit) to dump all the remaining 21FJP22s from stock. Those 5" color tubes were used in all kinds of stuff from medical equipment to airplane cockpit displays, so I imagine there were zillions of them instantly worthless in about the mid 90s when everything small started going LCD.

Charles