Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie812 View Post
I glad I got out of the “business” when I did (1984). The writing was on the wall at that time that TV’s were going to be a disposable product. From time to time people still ask me to ‘look’ at their televisions. More often than not if the set is 10 – 15 years old the parts are not available or it is just not worth repairing. If home entertainment equipment was my only source of income I would be grumpy too. Doogie
There was still plenty to work on in the late 80s, 90s and the early 2Ks. My favorite moneymakers from the era:

Sanyo and Sharp sets with bad caps and flybacks
GEs with the griplet problems
RCAs with the tuner solder issues
Philips sets with the white (Bad) Flybacks
GE PC chassis with the bad C621
Sonys with bad IF section solder
Later Sonys with 2SC4834's and MX0841's bad

Of course, there were the dogs and oddball stuff too, but 90% fixable, all profitable! Parts were plentiful up until 2002, and lately, you have to watch out for the counterfeit semiconductors.

Growing up in a TV shop taught me patience, customer service, resourcefulness, and futility....oh, and electronics too!

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Is that MX0841 a regulator? If so, I'm told that's what went wrong with the 36" trini I dropped off at my folks house not long ago, it's a hard to find part if you want genuine.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
There was still plenty to work on in the late 80s, 90s and the early 2Ks. My favorite moneymakers from the era:

Sanyo and Sharp sets with bad caps and flybacks
GEs with the griplet problems
RCAs with the tuner solder issues
Philips sets with the white (Bad) Flybacks
GE PC chassis with the bad C621
Sonys with bad IF section solder
Later Sonys with 2SC4834's and MX0841's bad

Of course, there were the dogs and oddball stuff too, but 90% fixable, all profitable! Parts were plentiful up until 2002, and lately, you have to watch out for the counterfeit semiconductors.

Growing up in a TV shop taught me patience, customer service, resourcefulness, and futility....oh, and electronics too!

Cheers,
Don't forget vcrs were once easy money. Back during the late 80s-about mid 90s.

There was up until the last year or so also plenty of STK convergence jobs on projection tvs. My favorite was the Hitachi with the separate convergence board. No need to pull the whole chassis to change the convergence STKs. Just a few connectors and out pops that little board. Some Samsungs were like that too. The trouble now is getting genuine STKs.

Also people were having us put lamps in their DLP tvs. Easy money until people figured out how to do it themselves and get the lamps cheap on the net or replaced with a flat screen. Also the famous Samsung color wheel on their DLPs was easy money.

On those projection tvs we also made lots of money on CTC169 Chassis direct view and projection in the early 90s -2000s . They had lots of common failures.Also lots of flyback replacements on the PTK195 chassis.Theres lots of common easy fixes on the last ones the ITC 222 but there's dogs too. The biggest nightmare is when these leak fluid. Now RCA no longer makes the top hat seal that fails on them and earlier chassis.

Also we have Sony warranty so we got to change all those optic blocks they had trouble with.Pretty easy once you did a few and they paid good. All that is gone now as Sony repairs have expired on them. They're just offering customers a discount on a new unit as compensation if they complain about the issue on their Grand Wega. Also Samsung has the capacitor recall and DLP chip recall.

I love all the flat screens with power supply electrolytic caps that swell up and still see them but the work is drying up.They're just getting too cheap to replace I guess.

It's getting so the only way to stay afloat is to do warranty/service contract work and for some reason another shop 65 miles away has gotten priority on the work for some reason. Maybe they do it cheaper? Maybe faster because they have more manpower? The owner goes out as well as a tech on the road. Only I go on the road here. the owner hasn't worked on a tv in years. They even have a secretary to answer the phone and she probably gets the parts ordered and claims in more efficiently I guess. The work is getting pretty thin these days.

Last edited by JCFitz; 05-17-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFitz View Post

Also we have Sony warranty so we got to change all those optic blocks they had trouble with.Pretty easy once you did a few and they paid good. All that is gone now as Sony repairs have expired on them. They're just offering customers a discount on a new unit as compensation if they complain about the issue on their Grand Wega. Also Samsung has the capacitor recall and DLP chip recall.

I've got one of the Sonys that's not covered by any of the warranty or class action lawsuits. Bad Optical block - 1250 bucks new or over 600 for a reconditioned one that won't last more than a year. Sony settled all but one lawsuit, and my model (KDG-E42A10) and a few others were never covered. I got it as a gift, so no skin off my back. I replaced it with a new Samsung LCD that I'm quite happy with.

Quote:
The work is getting pretty thin these days.
The fellow up the road stays busy with the newer stuff, mostly inverter boards, caps, and some projo stuff. He says he's barely getting by....

Cheers,

Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Is that MX0841 a regulator? If so, I'm told that's what went wrong with the 36" trini I dropped off at my folks house not long ago, it's a hard to find part if you want genuine.
Yep, it's a regulator. Sony part number 8-729-041-12. We got them from either Sony direct ($$$) or Union Electronics, also Sony Genuine stuff.

Cheers,

Audiokarma
Old 05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

How can I verify which one went bad? It's blinking the front light, and the code it comes back to is excessive HV. Any ideas? It's gonna go to the curb if I can't fix it, which would be a shame since it's such a nice set.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFitz View Post

There was up until the last year or so also plenty of STK convergence jobs on projection tvs. My favorite was the Hitachi with the separate convergence board. No need to pull the whole chassis to change the convergence STKs. Just a few connectors and out pops that little board. Some Samsungs were like that too. The trouble now is getting genuine STKs.

Also people were having us put lamps in their DLP tvs. Easy money until people figured out how to do it themselves and get the lamps cheap on the net or replaced with a flat screen. Also the famous Samsung color wheel on their DLPs was easy money.

On those projection tvs we also made lots of money on CTC169 Chassis direct view and projection in the early 90s -2000s . They had lots of common failures.Also lots of flyback replacements on the PTK195 chassis.Theres lots of common easy fixes on the last ones the ITC 222 but there's dogs too. The biggest nightmare is when these leak fluid. Now RCA no longer makes the top hat seal that fails on them and earlier chassis.

I love all the flat screens with power supply electrolytic caps that swell up and still see them but the work is drying up.They're just getting too cheap to replace I guess.

It's getting so the only way to stay afloat is to do warranty/service contract work and for some reason another shop 65 miles away has gotten priority on the work for some reason. Maybe they do it cheaper? Maybe faster because they have more manpower? The owner goes out as well as a tech on the road. Only I go on the road here. the owner hasn't worked on a tv in years. They even have a secretary to answer the phone and she probably gets the parts ordered and claims in more efficiently I guess. The work is getting pretty thin these days.

oh BTW, the sammys STILL have color wheel failures, even the new ones (thinline DLPs).

As far as service contract work, we signed up with ServicePower and havent gotten ANY calls. EVER. dont know why. It used to be booming couple years back when i worked for a small time shop. ServicePower said they didnt have anyone in the coverage area we have chosen. Maybe thats why? LOL no calls to support the coverage area.