Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2023, 01:48 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

Sony BVH-2000

Now in my living room, picked it up with a zillion hours on the heads. Not as elegant as the AMPEX ACR-25 or power hungry for that matter, for $395 I'm not complaining. It powers up but no display or key responses on the panel itself, going to verify the power supply outputs to the maintenance manual and take it from there. It has the TC board and type-1 control along with who knows how many bad electrolytics but it's sure to be a good challenge. Internally it's very clean with very little dust on its 1986 date coded parts but I don't think the power supply is original, will shoot more pictures later, had to load it up solo into the back of my 2005 Impala SS... if nothing else I got a good deal by the pound.

Will post pictures later, have to crop them down.

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 09-16-2023 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

First thing you need to do is run composite black to the REF input. I picked up an Ampex VPR80 by myself. But I was able to remove the PS before loading it in the back of my pickup. Remember this: if it worked before, it can work again!
Old 09-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

Turned out to be a dead RAM chip on the SY board so I got it to record & play, it has the internal TBC boards and requires BB which isn't a problem around here. I have a master sync gen and everything gets BB. The new challenge is getting it to display VITC timecode. It has the TCG card and the LED shows it's receiving VITC during playback but it's not reaching the panel or mon output, it worked at first but has since failed so it's back to the books.
Overall a wonderful albeit heavy toy, I'm looking for the side covers with the handles.
Will post some pictures when I get them cropped for the servers.
Now that I have officially joined the Type-C club do I get a jacket or hat?

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 09-19-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great! The Sony schools (Beta) I went to, didn't give out hats, but Ampex did!
Old 09-24-2023, 11:27 PM
Retired Batwings Tech

Actually I had a wardrobe of AMPEX goodies in middle school, Uncle was an engineer at the old Sound80 studios.
Here is a link to my BVH2000 on the audiokarma sister site, https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....3-jpg.2993954/

For some reason the videokarma server won't accept my image despite cropping it down to the required size of 146kb... it's music and on tape.

Last edited by ARC Tech-109; 09-24-2023 at 11:34 PM.
Audiokarma