Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory+Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 8,564
Emits low whistle...A few more coats of lacquer and you'll probably be able to shoot it and not hit wood.

Looking good so far.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Crist Rigott Crist Rigott is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Emits low whistle...A few more coats of lacquer and you'll probably be able to shoot it and not hit wood.

Looking good so far.
Yeah, the lacquer is on a bit heavy. There's a reason for that though. In a nutshell, I screwed up a bit and ended up wiping some of the grain filler away. The front and top could not go through a sanding again because the veneer was very thin in places. So the only thing that I could do is load up on the clear coats, sand, more clear coats, sand, etc till the surface was smooth.

Then I had a problem with the decals (self induced) and had to redo the left side which needed the lacquer built back up till the decals disappeared.

Over all, it is looking good!

I'm leaving for ETF on Wednesday morning so tomorrow will be the last day to shoot some "final" clear. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I get back.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 05-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory+Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post
Yeah, the lacquer is on a bit heavy. There's a reason for that though. In a nutshell, I screwed up a bit and ended up wiping some of the grain filler away. The front and top could not go through a sanding again because the veneer was very thin in places. So the only thing that I could do is load up on the clear coats, sand, more clear coats, sand, etc till the surface was smooth.

Then I had a problem with the decals (self induced) and had to redo the left side which needed the lacquer built back up till the decals disappeared.

Over all, it is looking good!

I'm leaving for ETF on Wednesday morning so tomorrow will be the last day to shoot some "final" clear. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I get back.
I've heard it said that "the mark of a professional woodworker is the ability to hide ones mistakes"...You've done an excellent job of that. The set looks absolutely flawless. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it with the chassis installed.

I'm planning to leave for the ETF Friday morning so I can get there friday evening. I'm looking forward to picking up the big RCA from you.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Crist Rigott Crist Rigott is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've heard it said that "the mark of a professional woodworker is the ability to hide ones mistakes"...You've done an excellent job of that. The set looks absolutely flawless. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it with the chassis installed.

I'm planning to leave for the ETF Friday morning so I can get there friday evening. I'm looking forward to picking up the big RCA from you.
Thank you for the kind words. I'll PM you later today and we'll exchange phone numbers and such.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Crist Rigott Crist Rigott is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Posts: 809
Just a quick update.
I did some traveling lately and attended the ETF Convention. I'm back home now and will resume on the 621TS cabinet this week.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #186  
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 PM
Crist Rigott Crist Rigott is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Waxahachie, TX
Posts: 809
Well, this is going to be a long road. There were 2 small areas that needed a little help before the final top coats. The repairs didn't go so good, so I stripped the front and top and I am starting over on those surfaces. The sides are fine.

Tonight I applied several coats of sealer on the sanded veneer, let that dry. Sanded with some 600 very lightly and applied the grain filler.

In a couple of days I'll sand that off...etc.

Gotta do it right!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.