Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 PM
M is for Memory+Moderator

Emits low whistle...A few more coats of lacquer and you'll probably be able to shoot it and not hit wood.

Looking good so far.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Emits low whistle...A few more coats of lacquer and you'll probably be able to shoot it and not hit wood.

Looking good so far.
Yeah, the lacquer is on a bit heavy. There's a reason for that though. In a nutshell, I screwed up a bit and ended up wiping some of the grain filler away. The front and top could not go through a sanding again because the veneer was very thin in places. So the only thing that I could do is load up on the clear coats, sand, more clear coats, sand, etc till the surface was smooth.

Then I had a problem with the decals (self induced) and had to redo the left side which needed the lacquer built back up till the decals disappeared.

Over all, it is looking good!

I'm leaving for ETF on Wednesday morning so tomorrow will be the last day to shoot some "final" clear. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I get back.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:47 AM
M is for Memory+Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post
Yeah, the lacquer is on a bit heavy. There's a reason for that though. In a nutshell, I screwed up a bit and ended up wiping some of the grain filler away. The front and top could not go through a sanding again because the veneer was very thin in places. So the only thing that I could do is load up on the clear coats, sand, more clear coats, sand, etc till the surface was smooth.

Then I had a problem with the decals (self induced) and had to redo the left side which needed the lacquer built back up till the decals disappeared.

Over all, it is looking good!

I'm leaving for ETF on Wednesday morning so tomorrow will be the last day to shoot some "final" clear. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I get back.
I've heard it said that "the mark of a professional woodworker is the ability to hide ones mistakes"...You've done an excellent job of that. The set looks absolutely flawless. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it with the chassis installed.

I'm planning to leave for the ETF Friday morning so I can get there friday evening. I'm looking forward to picking up the big RCA from you.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've heard it said that "the mark of a professional woodworker is the ability to hide ones mistakes"...You've done an excellent job of that. The set looks absolutely flawless. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it with the chassis installed.

I'm planning to leave for the ETF Friday morning so I can get there friday evening. I'm looking forward to picking up the big RCA from you.
Thank you for the kind words. I'll PM you later today and we'll exchange phone numbers and such.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just a quick update.
I did some traveling lately and attended the ETF Convention. I'm back home now and will resume on the 621TS cabinet this week.
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, this is going to be a long road. There were 2 small areas that needed a little help before the final top coats. The repairs didn't go so good, so I stripped the front and top and I am starting over on those surfaces. The sides are fine.

Tonight I applied several coats of sealer on the sanded veneer, let that dry. Sanded with some 600 very lightly and applied the grain filler.

In a couple of days I'll sand that off...etc.

Gotta do it right!