Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 PM
M is for Memory

Emits low whistle...A few more coats of lacquer and you'll probably be able to shoot it and not hit wood.

Looking good so far.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Emits low whistle...A few more coats of lacquer and you'll probably be able to shoot it and not hit wood.

Looking good so far.
Yeah, the lacquer is on a bit heavy. There's a reason for that though. In a nutshell, I screwed up a bit and ended up wiping some of the grain filler away. The front and top could not go through a sanding again because the veneer was very thin in places. So the only thing that I could do is load up on the clear coats, sand, more clear coats, sand, etc till the surface was smooth.

Then I had a problem with the decals (self induced) and had to redo the left side which needed the lacquer built back up till the decals disappeared.

Over all, it is looking good!

I'm leaving for ETF on Wednesday morning so tomorrow will be the last day to shoot some "final" clear. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I get back.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:47 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post
Yeah, the lacquer is on a bit heavy. There's a reason for that though. In a nutshell, I screwed up a bit and ended up wiping some of the grain filler away. The front and top could not go through a sanding again because the veneer was very thin in places. So the only thing that I could do is load up on the clear coats, sand, more clear coats, sand, etc till the surface was smooth.

Then I had a problem with the decals (self induced) and had to redo the left side which needed the lacquer built back up till the decals disappeared.

Over all, it is looking good!

I'm leaving for ETF on Wednesday morning so tomorrow will be the last day to shoot some "final" clear. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I get back.
I've heard it said that "the mark of a professional woodworker is the ability to hide ones mistakes"...You've done an excellent job of that. The set looks absolutely flawless. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it with the chassis installed.

I'm planning to leave for the ETF Friday morning so I can get there friday evening. I'm looking forward to picking up the big RCA from you.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've heard it said that "the mark of a professional woodworker is the ability to hide ones mistakes"...You've done an excellent job of that. The set looks absolutely flawless. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it with the chassis installed.

I'm planning to leave for the ETF Friday morning so I can get there friday evening. I'm looking forward to picking up the big RCA from you.
Thank you for the kind words. I'll PM you later today and we'll exchange phone numbers and such.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just a quick update.
I did some traveling lately and attended the ETF Convention. I'm back home now and will resume on the 621TS cabinet this week.
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, this is going to be a long road. There were 2 small areas that needed a little help before the final top coats. The repairs didn't go so good, so I stripped the front and top and I am starting over on those surfaces. The sides are fine.

Tonight I applied several coats of sealer on the sanded veneer, let that dry. Sanded with some 600 very lightly and applied the grain filler.

In a couple of days I'll sand that off...etc.

Gotta do it right!
Old 09-09-2017, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's an update.
The above refinish didn't go well enough for me. So stripped it again and refinished it. this time I'm pleased with the outcome. My previous attempts at grain filling didn't go so well. I learned that I was sanding the grain filler too much and ended up with little grain being filled. The last time I didn't sand so much and the grain was nicely filled for the clear top coats.

I used gloss clear and then the semi-gloss for the final 5 coats.

I'll start sanding with some 1200 that I have and move on with 1500 and finally with 2000. then rub out, polish and wax.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fantastic job so far. Looks like new decals. Curious, how will the final sanding affect the decals?

-SteveD.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chris, be sure to check the 6.8 meg resistors in the HV anode area. These all went out of tolerance.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Fantastic job so far. Looks like new decals. Curious, how will the final sanding affect the decals?

-SteveD.
Thanks.
The decals have enough of the clear coats on them so sanding through to them won't be a problem. As a matter of fact, there is enough clear coats so that the decals edges are completely disappeared.
Audiokarma
Old 09-09-2017, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadcaster View Post
Chris, be sure to check the 6.8 meg resistors in the HV anode area. These all went out of tolerance.
Thanks for the heads up. They were all replaced with 3 watt resistors.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Now that the innard's exposed to ambient air/moisture, seems like it'd be prone to corona and arc-over inside. Or maybe I'm just being a fuddyduddy.
Uhh, yeah...I'll be the 1st to admit that I know "Bupkis" about the ins & outs of this stuff, but on a set as rare & valuable as this one is, don't think I'd be trying to "cut Corners" or anything like that. Maybe searching 30 yrs B4 a 621 dropped into my lap, as it were, has made me a bit Jaded. That's just ME, however, YOUR experience likely is far different.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I wonder how these things were done at the factory? Something tells me Sarnoff would never agree to a tenth of the "One on One" treatment THIS one has received..
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 AM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigott View Post

I used gloss clear and then the semi-gloss for the final 5 coats.

I'll start sanding with some 1200 that I have and move on with 1500 and finally with 2000. then rub ]
Be careful not to sand or rub through to the gloss or you'll have shiny spots. Also semigoss is made by adding a fine particulate to gloss. If its uneven in thickness, you can get an uneven sheen. Another option is to only use gloss and control the sheen by rubbing it out with a courser grit
Old 09-10-2017, 01:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Be careful not to sand or rub through to the gloss or you'll have shiny spots. Also semigoss is made by adding a fine particulate to gloss. If its uneven in thickness, you can get an uneven sheen. Another option is to only use gloss and control the sheen by rubbing it out with a courser grit
Bob, good info. Thanks.
Audiokarma