Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2015, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old Pathe Suitcase Turntable - Astatic 89t issues

Hello,

I have recently purchased said turntable and was planning on using it for fun just to play old beat up 78s and 45s. It was stated that there was a NOS Astatic 89t cart/stylus installed. The stylus does not look new to me but I have never seen one of these before. I have posted some pictures. Does everything look right? It is dual-tipped, one side for 45s and the other for 78s. When I play a 45 it sounds like it is etching the vinyl and the actual vinyl seems to change color a bit in the part that was played. It sounds ok except for a hum when the volume is turned up. When I play a 78 the etching sound is more pronounced from the stylus, loud enough to be heard over the sound of the music. I understand that these players track at the very high tracking force but this is not normal, is it? Perhaps my stylus is bad? Is there a way to adjust the tracking force on these units?

Also, how is the Astatic removed? Does it just slide out of the holder? Mine looks like there is some kind of glue in there and doesn't want to budge.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can provide!