Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:50 PM
< RCA CTC-5

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
Holy crap.

I just noticed that TV has SCART. I would KILL to have a TV with a SCART plug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLf1CsxHqFs Here's a video of it the contrast and brightness are set at less then half way and it's still very bright so it definitely has a good CRT! sorry for having the sound turned down it was late at night. Also if your near the Buffalo,NY area your more then welcome to take it if you want it, actually really any collector is welcome to it if they want it I do like the set but i'm not attached to it like I am with my 50's and 60's Vintage sets.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS X View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLf1CsxHqFs Here's a video of it the contrast and brightness are set at less then half way and it's still very bright so it definitely has a good CRT! sorry for having the sound turned down it was late at night. Also if your near the Buffalo,NY area your more then welcome to take it if you want it, actually really any collector is welcome to it if they want it I do like the set but i'm not attached to it like I am with my 50's and 60's Vintage sets.
Would you be willing to ship. I can pay for shipping to 71913.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd keep it just because of its capabilities.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, your probably better off keeping it. I really have no use for a newer set like that other than to just gather dust. Never really liked that name either. Capabilities can't be much more than the average set. My Digital System 3 has a ton more connections. I did have a console set about 15 years ago made by rca that had a ton of connections. That would be something I might be interested again.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:11 AM
< RCA CTC-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
I'd keep it just because of its capabilities.
Yah I plan to that's why I only said to collectors in my area but not alot of people seem to collect 80's sets yet so if there was someone around me that did I would be ok with letting them have it. But for now it will stay with me tell someone maybe does start a collection of "80's" sets near me and wants it, Or it starts haveing issues or gives up the ghost although I would probably at least try and fix it, hopefully I won't have to worry about that any time soon though as it seems to be working good!
Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

This TV is arguably the last real high end USA engineered RCA TV ever. A really elegant set and a superb picture. Someone needs to rescue this set.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:09 AM
< RCA CTC-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
This TV is arguably the last real high end USA engineered RCA TV ever. A really elegant set and a superb picture. Someone needs to rescue this set.
It's definitely safe for now don't worry and I agree it makes a outstanding picture You could say I'm just holding it for the right collector to come along even if it takes 10 years it's worth keeping around for sure!
Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM
PhilB

Hi all-I have posted before regarding my RCA Colortrak 2000. I have two of them, but one made in June 1988 after GE sold to Thompson, has the most connections , with a SCART. Reading this thread, I noticed Gunslinger(fyi, I had a friend whose name is Ensminger, and we called him Gunslinger in our pre/post teens years, lol)...mentioned this: "One of the biggest problems was solder connections around the IF chip, coils in the IF sections, solder connections at the small power supply board diodes, and the driver to horizontal driver."

My June 1988 RCA (and I haven't taken it apart to get the CTC number, sorry) will intermittently, occasionally, just shut off for a couple seconds and then come back on. I know it's a solder connection, or I think that's what it is. My knowledge of tv is nearly nil, but I have some exposure to electronics being that I built a Heathkit walkie -talkie at age 13. Not a tv, but still - I am not shy to dig in and solder something. With high voltages and knowing a little about death is near, unless one discharges volts waiting to kill you, I'm still reluctant to open it up and look at a board that may have a weak solder joint, which I'm capable of repairing. Anyways - I really like these RCA Colortrak 2000. I had a TOL Fisher in 1987, which is long gone, and these are every bit as good in sound and picture.

Here's a link to my sets: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philbarry2/albums

OS X - you did well. I bought mine for about $10 at a thrift (the one with the SCART connection) and it has a pincussion problem, along with the occasional 2-second shutoff and on again. Otherwise, sound and picture remain very good to excellent. I have two external speakers hooked up to that Thompson June 1988 Colortrak 2000 and it sounds absolutely amazing. Separation of sound is so impressive. I don't collect tv's, but I have one other Zenith that has digital channel (manual) input on a panel. But the RCA's have stolen the show, even though Zeniths were always what my dad bought(great sets). Enjoyed reading this thread - thanks for the info, Gunslinger. Maybe I'll peek inside one day and get the CTC number and look at the boards for weak solder joints. I'm wondering if the pincussion effect might be adjustable or became that way due to part age.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintv49 View Post
Hi all-I have posted before regarding my RCA Colortrak 2000. I have two of them, but one made in June 1988 after GE sold to Thompson, has the most connections , with a SCART. Reading this thread, I noticed Gunslinger(fyi, I had a friend whose name is Ensminger, and we called him Gunslinger in our pre/post teens years, lol)...mentioned this: "One of the biggest problems was solder connections around the IF chip, coils in the IF sections, solder connections at the small power supply board diodes, and the driver to horizontal driver."

My June 1988 RCA (and I haven't taken it apart to get the CTC number, sorry) will intermittently, occasionally, just shut off for a couple seconds and then come back on. I know it's a solder connection, or I think that's what it is. My knowledge of tv is nearly nil, but I have some exposure to electronics being that I built a Heathkit walkie -talkie at age 13. Not a tv, but still - I am not shy to dig in and solder something. With high voltages and knowing a little about death is near, unless one discharges volts waiting to kill you, I'm still reluctant to open it up and look at a board that may have a weak solder joint, which I'm capable of repairing. Anyways - I really like these RCA Colortrak 2000. I had a TOL Fisher in 1987, which is long gone, and these are every bit as good in sound and picture.

Here's a link to my sets: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philbarry2/albums

OS X - you did well. I bought mine for about $10 at a thrift (the one with the SCART connection) and it has a pincussion problem, along with the occasional 2-second shutoff and on again. Otherwise, sound and picture remain very good to excellent. I have two external speakers hooked up to that Thompson June 1988 Colortrak 2000 and it sounds absolutely amazing. Separation of sound is so impressive. I don't collect tv's, but I have one other Zenith that has digital channel (manual) input on a panel. But the RCA's have stolen the show, even though Zeniths were always what my dad bought(great sets). Enjoyed reading this thread - thanks for the info, Gunslinger. Maybe I'll peek inside one day and get the CTC number and look at the boards for weak solder joints. I'm wondering if the pincussion effect might be adjustable or became that way due to part age.
CRT HV won't kill you unless you have a heart condition, or decide to grab it with the set on (that may not even be enough to kill you). It is CURRENT (30mA IIRC) not voltage that kills (IIRC the average CRT HV supply is meant to produce a few uA to 1 mA). A good static zap from shuffling across the carpet and touching a doorknob may have more voltage and a large fraction of the charge stored in a CRT (with the set off).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-16-2015, 07:19 PM
PhilB

Correct, Electronic M. :-) I was thinking the higher voltage has the potential to kill since V=IR and the body is typical constant resistance, so is it amps or voltage, they're both tied together. And if the tv tube has 20-20K voltage, there's potential for damage. My heart is good, but I would discharge that tv tube before testing my heart. Thanks for the note.
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2015, 08:59 PM
M is for Memory

In a capacitor (the part of the CRT that stores charge) current is I(t)=C (dV(t)/dt). In most CRTs the C is low enough to be reasonably safe. I've discharged freshly powered off CRTs with my body a couple of times....Hurts for a few seconds, some colorful language is emitted and sometimes reflexes are triggered, but nothing worse.

Capacitors and low current power supplies rarely come close to living up to the simplest form of ohm's law...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-16-2015, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

You know how Thomson has the remote HV test points next to the focus and screen controls? I was trying to adjust them, wasn't paying attention and stuck a screwdriver in the HV test point with the set on, while touching the blade of course. I'm still here but wow that woke me up!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

A REAL KILLER...is the power supply of the average......

MICROWAVE OVEN !!!!

It is "only" around 4KV.DC..BUT it is OVER 300 MA. !!!

WAAAAAAAYYYYYY more than enough of BOTH...to kill INSTANTLY.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:41 PM
PhilB

It's the joules that determines the last show. I forgot all my physics and basic electronics, for the little I learned. Thanks again.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

The only place a modern set will kill you is the AC. If
you got a bad heart MAYBE the HV. I never heard of
anyone killed or directly injured by a TV. Its just part
of the job to get bit now & then. Almost any solid state set
the HV bleeds off in seconds. If you want to play it safe
discharge it, remove anode & run a clip lead from the
wire to ground. When you put it back together discharge
the CRT itself again first.
I got zapped probably once a week for 20 yrs then rarely
for almost 20 more yrs. HV can give you a-fibs for a short