Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Administrator

And now a Coronado

I picked up this small 1948 Coronado floor model today.

This uses the RCA 721 chassis, slightly modified, the channel plate starts at channel 2 but there are about 5 or 6 clicks between 2 and 13 with a blank space on the dial so I don't know if the tuner is actually a channel 1 or not?

Good CRT, shorted filter caps I think because powering it up through a bulb shows too much draw and a hot 5U4.

The picture makes it look like the veneer is loose on top, it's not but it does need refinished.

So who was Coronado?

Eric
Old 01-26-2003, 10:53 PM
Banned

Hey Eric,

That is kinda a neat score. I hadn't heard of them either. Too bad about the grille cloth. They should'a made that horizontal protection bar about a foot wider! Are you going to restore it fully? Knowing you that's a dumb question right.

Rob
Old 01-27-2003, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

According to the Bunis books Coronado was made in Minneapolis and Los Angeles. When I was growing up in Wisconsin we had a department store by the name of Gambles (I don't know where else those stores were located and when they closed) that carried Coronado brand appliances including radios and probably TVs.

Steve
Old 01-27-2003, 06:17 AM
Administrator

Yup, the "Coronado" was made by the Gamble-Skogmo Corporation. I only remember that because Rob and I happened to come across that in a Riders.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Dept Stores

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamakiri
Yup, the "Coronado" was made by the Gamble-Skogmo Corporation. I only remember that because Rob and I happened to come across that in a Riders.
That's interesting to know.

I can't recall ever seeing a Gambles here in California so perhaps this set is not a native,
but if as Steve K says they were made in Los Angeles it would make sense that someone was selling them here.

Eric
Audiokarma