Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2003, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy hdtv look like it is going to be crap

had a new rca 52" wide screen brought in today. thomson has a toll free number that you call for techinal assistance. well i called them. the set woul power up then shutdown then power up anain 3 times. guess what they dont know one thing about these hdtv sets. he said we are still learning ourselves. they give instructiong to call from the customers home hell what are you going to tell the customer. the company can build them but dont know shit about repairs. it turns out the convergence power supply is dead he couldnt even tell me to check that. so i called back to see if the board is a componet replace item or order a new one. i stayed on the phone on hold for over 30 minutes just hung up and ordered one. we also have a new 61" hdtv bad out out of the box.
turned red with retrace they told me to replace the red tube and crt board. guess what backordered till march. i also hear the other brands are not worth a crap either. these sets are full of smd capacitors. will they last as long as the crt,s i dought it.. steve
Old 01-20-2003, 07:59 PM
Banned

I heard that when Thompson CSF took over RCA consumer TV's the quality went the way of a helium baloon. I have heard so much negative about RCA big screen projectors, not even anything about the newer HDTV's, that I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot HV probe.

When I finally sprung for one two years ago I bought a 3:4 standard format 61" Toshiba 61A60, like it a lot and have had absolutely no troubles with it.

Rob
Old 01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

toshiba tv

. our rca 4:3 format projection sets are great very few problems. i have customers who never turn them off and they just last and last. but you have to consider how many rca big screens are sold over the other brands. they outsell most brands combined and have for years. i just dont belive any hdtv projection will last as long. they are running the tubes pretty hard. steve