Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

pilot tv-37

at least at new years eve i was able to purchase one of those itty-bitty pilot 3" sets from the forties on e-bay,and it was not at an outragous price like ctc's are going on e-bay,i got it for $150.00
using buy it now,it got here last night excellent condition,with antennas and case and all,and the god part is it has a perfect tested 3kp4,strong emission,the chassis is a little dirty but overall great condition,i did notice the tuning knob is made of wood..?
i have plenty of .001 @4000v caps that i should be able to use as the HV could not be over 3.5kv on a 3" round tube??
what do you guys think?
terry
Old 01-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Banned

Terry,

Good score on that Pilot! I think they use 2500 volts on that CRT. 4 kV caps will work fine. Those CRT's can fetch more than you paid for this entire set. Good 3KP4's are as scarce as tax breaks in Canada.

Rob
Old 01-15-2003, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

pilot tv-37

if anyone here has one of these sets and are familar or have any data can you tell me what the filter lytic values are?
looks like one was replaced,but not sure,it sure looks like this set was made in a hurry back then,i have a decent pic after recapping,but hum in audio and video bothers me,i see one 2 section can rated at 100@150 v and the other half is 40mfd@150v,it looks like it was replaced at one time,if i add 100mfd to both rails on the cap everything seems happy,i dont have a manual yet...i have replaced every paper cap and the 5mfd@50wv with no problem,i am not sure yet what is original on this yet,no fuses either..? hehehe
thanks
terr
Old 01-16-2003, 06:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

pilot tv-37 pic

here is a fresh pic of this tiny CRT running,i still can't understand how anyone back in the 40's could watch this,even with a magnifier,it does play well and the CRT does focus excellent,
this must have been the micro TV of the 40's..
bobby the kitten jumped up on my work bench for the first time.
( he is a large breed,ragdoll)
anyways,i am missing the HV cage for this set,
terry
Old 01-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Banned

Terry,

Good looking Pilot. I have one mostly recapped but haven't yet dealt with the electrolytics. Mine is working at half the H frequency so it makes a good cross pulse monitor as seen in my screen shot. It has been sitting on my bench for 2 years waiting for me to finish it. Geeze.

That cabinet isn't very strong so I wouldn't be putting a beer on it, but I see your beer is a light beer.

Nice pussy. I have two of the darlings here myself.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Administrator

Magic!

Terry, you are a wizard!
You make it seem so effortless to get these old sets running like new, I am in awe

Eric
Old 01-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Terry,

I have to second what Eric said. You have magic hands when it comes to the vintage sets. Very nice work. What you have done with your vintage color sets is especially amazing.

Rob