Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2003, 04:12 PM
michael

Philco 48-2500 Projection Set; RCA 621TS

Just picked this up--in fact, it's still in the car until I get a helper--for $125 (OK?) and save for a few surface scratches, it's in beautiful shape. Was in the seller's mother's home since the early 50's when her sister gave her the set. He stated that it hadn't been used since the 70's (electrolytics needed) but that it was working fine at the time. Looked pretty straightforward inside, but is there any cautionary information you'd like to pass on? I presume there's a catioptic mirror in there that you don't touch with sweaty fingers but any info that's helpful or useful with regard to proj sets would be appreciated. TP400 CRT's impossible to find? This one might be weak.

By the way, the two 621 backs I got from Amptech are outstanding and presumably, the quality extends to their other repros as well!

Thanks!
Michael Hagan
Old 01-11-2003, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Michael,

The 2500 is real neat projection set, I have one restored and it has one of the best pictures of the projection sets I have. The spherical mirror is the critical optic piece of the set, mine had an excellent spherical mirror but the flat "keystone" mirror was pretty hazy I was able to cut a new one from a new HD projection mirror.

Be careful if you need to clean the Micro-Lens screen, it is covered with a plastic film, the service manual recommends dusting only with a soft cloth

Be prepared to replace a load of paper caps in this one, electrolytics were fine. In fact so far of the five '48 /'49 Philcos I have restored the electrolytics were all good.

Chuck
Old 01-11-2003, 11:22 PM
michael

Philco proj set

Thanks for the info! As a matter of fact, looking in the back, I CAN see a paper cap with a big ol' dark spot on it. Wonder how many more.....? Got it in the house and my wife actually approved! It's on a Variac now, so sometime tomorrow I guess I'll see what happens. The way this thing is built is really amazing; the fit and finish of the cabinet and chassis components is first rate. I'm looking one of my Predictas from here, a floor model, and it's unfortunate that the quality slipped as much as it did in ten short years.