Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2002, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Need help with Predicta Siesta

Need some help from you Predicta folks. I recently aquired a Predicta Siesta with chassis 10L43. Someone has cut wires in the flyback area. Is something suppose to plug into the socket on the outside of the HV cage? If so it's missing and the wire connected from 4 has been cut. I don't have a schematic on this chassis yet so I can't tell whats missing. The flyback is there. All the machine screws around the HV cage have been removed previously. Is this a popular area on the chassis for vandals? I added a photo of the trouble spot. Any help would be wonderful!
Thanks
Jim
Old 12-20-2002, 09:31 AM
On Land

I have a Princess model, and the dope on the flyback is all cracked up (but still works). One of these days I'll go in there to fill in the cracks with silicon. Being that the HV cage is so cramped, it's a pain in the butt to work with. Actually, that can be said about the entire chassis.

I am not home to look in mine, so this is just a guess... Isn't that the socket where the deflection yoke plugs in? I do remember that something does plug in there.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a photo with the HV cover off. I found the missing plug, It was cramed up into the neck of the picture tube housing. Now I just need to figure out where that black wire goes. Any ideas?
Jim

Last edited by classicradios; 12-20-2002 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:09 AM
On Land

Not a clue offhand on the wire. I have the Sams for the set, but it's at home across the state line. I wonder how long that Philco 1B3 tube has been there? Possibly since the set was new?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

That 1b3 still tests good Charlie. The Set looks all original and complete other than that cut wire. Cosmetically the gold cabinet is in excellent condition and the original antenna is still in place! The CRT tests as weak and bad on my B&K 465. It would be very unfortunate if this set couldn't be put back into service.
Jim
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

CRT

Jim, there is a 17" tube on eBay right now, condition uncertain but he's offering a refund if bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3638

Eric
Old 12-20-2002, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the link Eric.
I saw that one. I have a source locally where I can buy one.
Not as cheap but I know it's good internally and cosmetically.
Jim
Old 12-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

That wouldn't happen to be the wire that goes to the plate cap of the H. output tube?

Rob
Old 12-22-2002, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

You were right Rob. The mystery wire does go to the 6DQ6 tube. Someone has cut off the cap from the wire and put a 12sn7 tube in the socket, very strange... I'll slowly go through the re-capping process and update as I progress.
Thanks
Jim
Old 12-22-2002, 10:50 AM
Banned

Cool Cool!

Jim,

Glad to help! BTW, if you don't need that 12SN7 I'm quite sure WardsWeb would like to have it to try in an amplifier.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 12-30-2002, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

The CRT was a total dud. The original CRT was obviously removed from the housing and replaced with this dead CRT. The metal band wasn't clamped down, screws missing and the deflection yoke upside down. I bought a good CRT locally. Replaced the electrolytics, bad tubes and a few caps so far. I do get full raster now with no image or sound just a loud buzz. The clocks a mess. Wires pulled from the motor, connection slug missing from the switch. I bypassed it for now. I'll bet the clock was switched or carelessly removed at some point. Stay tuned....
Jim
Old 01-05-2003, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back in service!

Well,
It's been a lot of work getting this one going again. Had to solve a lot of little issues. The Video was out due to a missing pin on the first video IF tube and the Audio Det tube socket needed replacing to bring back the sound. The TV plays great now with good sound and a nice clear picture. The clock needs a new motor and switch, I bypassed it for now. The Vertical transformer is a bit noisy (buzzing) but not any louder than my other vintage sets. Has anyone ever replaced the Vertical transformer with a modern Universal Vertical transformer on a vintage set? I wonder if a new one would run quiet?.
Jim
Old 01-05-2003, 11:40 AM
On Land

Your Predicta came out great! You must have lots of patience! Mine needs a new socket for the 6BQ5 sound output... it's turned to toast over the years being that the 6BQ5 runs so hot. I dread taking it apart to repair it, so I always find something else to work on instead!

Charlie
Old 01-05-2003, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Anybody want to work on my Holiday for cash or TVs?

I've got a few sets to trade for the work that needs to be done.