Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Live and let live. I've seen nothing you've posted that causes me angst. Besides, I'll probably do something stupid that I'll need dressing down from.

I appreciate your honesty and electronics experience. Please don't go!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow... SOMEBODY Nominally on my sid, or at least apparently willing to hear what I had to say. Look, I suffered a BIG loss w/these goofballs, not the least of which was the feeling of been "Kicked in the teeth" after we'd gone out of our way so much to help them. I DON'T hate gays-The only bunch I hate are the buttholes from Mumbai who call you wanting to help pay off yr Stoodent loans, or lower yr interest rates at 745 in the morning. THEY need to be nuked w/weak nukes that just make them very sick for a long time B4 they die... I honestly liked Jess & Ray-Ray, kinda felt like an uncle to them, if you will til I found out about all the theft, & how Ray-Ray had changed all my passwords around... But if I ever got to a place where I could expend/expound my wrath on the Mumbai bunch, it would know no bounds. 2nd on the list are the linguini-spined politico types who sanctimoniously claim they CAN'T do anything about it because 1) It's a 1st Amendment issue, or 2) They're all offshore. Aww, Bullshyte.80% of the calls are from a local number that has been "Spoofed", but you can't call it right back. "We're sorry, the number you requested is out of service or has been disconnected...." Well, you effin' Kompuder, it worked pretty effin' WELL 15 seconds ago when I got a call from ol' Jugleash in Mumbai...
Old 01-23-2019, 09:43 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
An uzi probably wouldn't do very well at taking down trees anyway, a job like that is better suited to a Dillon Minigun.

Man, if ammo cost that much back then, I shudder to think of what it is today. Furthermore, 32 bucks US would convert to about 42 up here, it's as crazy as cross-border shipping costs. On the flip-flop, I could at least end up being the only left-handed Canadian civilian to ever fire one. I doubt that would be an advantage as it is in baseball though.

I almost forgot to ask, can legal owners of machine guns carry them around as well?
I'm sure shooting left handed makes it harder for right handers to catch the bullets with a baseball glove or g hit it at bat.

What the gubbamint needs to do is incentivise the.telcos to disable number spoofing and or block non-domestic spoofs,...no more calls from Monty Python from Mumbai.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nah, eff 'em. Give us the option to have a button on our phone when ol' "Brandon" or "Charles" calls w/the hottest deal ever offered, you press it, & "KABOOM !" He gets blown to Mumbai Heaven. I'd have worn 3 or 4 of them phones by now... Even those stupid dipshytes would have figgered out by now that it AIN'T nice to bother us B4 we've even had time to roll over & fart twice B4 getting up. I know Old Indio has 2, 3, 4 billion people, so they could spare a bunch, but even they prolly wouldn't wanna be the NEXT one to meet Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong, or whoever their deity is this week....Cut off the noggin of the lead harlot & the rest will fall in line....
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I have three cars that the doors lock automatically when the car is put in drive. I generally have the windows shut, as I always use the air conditioner or heater. That's no matter where go.
Right now, I live in" God's country" where the crime rate is in the negative numbers.
My cars are all manual, and I never had an issue with crime, except for having a car broken into about 15 years ago. I do like to roll down the windows on a nice day (especially in the non-AC equipped cars!), but if there's suspicious looking people walking around, the doors are locked and windows up as a matter of course.

Sandy, you should cut those India call center people some slack.. they're just people trying to feed their family. Imagine going through all of the study and effort to learn English, and then having such a crappy job? I kind of feel sorry for them. Whenever I get an unsolicited call, I always have the same response - I'm sorry, what you say sounds like a great deal, but I don't ever do business with people who give me unsolicited phone calls, because I find them rude and disruptive. Mine are always about new windows and doors.. there's always someone "in my area" wanting to give me a "free estimate" on new windows and doors.
Audiokarma
Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
Live and let live. I've seen nothing you've posted that causes me angst. Besides, I'll probably do something stupid that I'll need dressing down from.

I appreciate your honesty and electronics experience. Please don't go!
I couldn't have said it better myself, even if I had taken more time in my initial reply. However, I feel I've been picked on more than enough by the not-so high and mighty, there never have been enough pats on the back to make up for it. Many of us need a much gentler approach, otherwise it can easily backfire. Whether or not we remain angry with the people who dished it out--or betrayed us in some way--doesn't matter much, the relationship is usually destroyed anyway. Beware of those who smile too much; the last one to pry into my personal life got more than he bargained for and started saying stupid things that upset me big time. That experience did teach me one valuable lesson though: don't be so open with people.

Many folks are way too easily offended these days, it's like walking through a minefield. Try not to sweat the small stuff I say, and do brake checks when something raises your hackles, it helps a lot.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, I thought about the "Starving Family" scenario, too, & every 2nd thing you see on TV always goes on about how the economy in India is going gangbusters. And most of the ones I get are the "College loan payoff/Lower credit card Interest rate" type ripoffs. Why don't they get a job w/one of the outfits that is gonna be the next Ford, VW/Citibank ?!?
I have little/no patience/compassion for someone who is trying to undoubtedly steal/scam from me. They must think we're ALL rich fools over here, rich chickens ready/waiting to be plucked/stewed. Or they're too lazy to get a REAL job w/an outfit that they could do very well indeed with. I hear/understand yr concern, & share it to a degree, but I'm disabled lost MY job because of it, so excuse me for not being totally on board w/feeling sorry for those guys.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, I thought about the "Starving Family" scenario, too, & every 2nd thing you see on TV always goes on about how the economy in India is going gangbusters. And most of the ones I get are the "College loan payoff/Lower credit card Interest rate" type ripoffs. Why don't they get a job w/one of the outfits that is gonna be the next Ford, VW/Citibank ?!?
I have little/no patience/compassion for someone who is trying to undoubtedly steal/scam from me. They must think we're ALL rich fools over here, rich chickens ready/waiting to be plucked/stewed. Or they're too lazy to get a REAL job w/an outfit that they could do very well indeed with. I hear/understand yr concern, & share it to a degree, but I'm disabled lost MY job because of it, so excuse me for not being totally on board w/feeling sorry for those guys.
It's a double-edged sword really, and a dog-eat-dog world economy with many countries that can exploit their workers with little to no repercussions. As for the telemarketers, I recall reading about a law that requires foreign reps to tie us in with a Canadian rep if we ask twice. The first time we ask they may try to get us to speak with a manager; ask a second time and they have no choice. Whether the same sort of thing applies in the US and A I have no idea. It's about keeping jobs on our side of the pond.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Sometimes, I get phone calls from car dealerships, who offer to "lower my payments" and also get into a new car. I tell them that right now, my payments are zero, and if they can get me into a new car for the same rate, I'm all ears. That makes for a very short phone call! For the credit card guys, just tell them you deal only in cash, and refuse to spend money you don't have in your hands.. that also completely throws off the sales pitch.

I still don't tend to shoot the messenger, or blame the low guy on the totem pole.

I watched a documentary film about India a while back which showed the most insane job I've ever seen. In one of the big cities, there's guys whose job is to kill rats. They start at dark, go out into the city in a group with flashlights, and look for rats.. they shine the light at the rat, kill it by whipping it with a stick, then pick it up with their bare feet, and put it in a 5 gallon pail. If they don't fill the whole pail by the end of the night, they get their pay docked. This is a real job in India, and some of the people doing it actually have university degrees, but it's the best job they can find! I would imagine that working in a call center would be a dream come true to someone doing that job.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:40 PM
M is for Memory

This thread is reminding me of my uneasiness with some charities... there are plenty that primarily benefit the yutz that runs the thing... their primary purpose is to take 80 percent of your money give it to Joe Careingheart Charitypanhandler and pass the rest on to some organization that actually helps people. I rather give directly to organization that helps people than help Joe Careingheart make a living Leaching off of people's kindness.

A lot of those organizations also give the money at their disgression to various organizations... some of which I'd never want to give money to.

And some of the folks and advertisers collecting are just super manipulative... Like playing that super sad arms of the angel song on TV...sad stuff makes me tune away. next time I see the help third world folks with two left feet commercials I wanna hear Tom Petty singing " you don't have to live like a refugee"

Audiokarma
Old 01-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I just wish the "Call Centre" crew, et al would just leave me da eff alone. You used to, here in 'Murrica, had the right to not be bothered by these jerks. Apparently, in good ol 3019, you DON'T even have the right to yr name anymore.. I'm on all the "Do NOT Call" lists-they are nothing but sick jokes that make the spammers call harder, I think. Since most things in this country are bassackwards-seemingly, anyhow-I wonder if there is a "Please Call" list that you would never get another spam call again....
Old 01-23-2019, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Reading this thread has been depressing. Sandy, I'm glad to see your posting again. The stuff about Detroit made me think of all the companies that had existed that once made tv's. Zenith, Motorola, Emerson, Admiral to think of a few. Let's move on and talk tv talk again. Sandy, just glad your listing again as I missed your posts.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 01-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popester View Post
Reading this thread has been depressing. Sandy, I'm glad to see your posting again. The stuff about Detroit made me think of all the companies that had existed that once made tv's. Zenith, Motorola, Emerson, Admiral to think of a few. Let's move on and talk tv talk again. Sandy, just glad your listing again as I missed your posts.
Makes me sad, too, 'cause I've studied about the car industry virtually all my life. Places lie East Grand Blvd, Highland Park, Piquette Avenue, et al, are kinda sacred to me. Detroit was the envy of the world at one time. And TVs ? Man to have lived in the days when Sarnoff & MacDonald delighted screwing w/each other. Imagine having a "Cherry" Bomber Trans-Oceanic, CT-100, a family of Portholes, a family of those too-cute little 8" RCA sets from '56, in All the colors.... Now, "Dee-Toilet" is just that, barely a shadow of its former self. I've seen & have been horrified by the YouTUbe videos.... Shocking...All our vaunted electronics industry, do they even make anything electronic here anymore I have a last-gen soiled state Porta-Potty that was made in Portsmouth, Virginia, of all places. Likely was one of the last of the last ones. Maybe one of the last TVs made here...Period.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:25 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
. Imagine having a "Cherry" Bomber Trans-Oceanic, CT-100, a family of Portholes, a family of those too-cute little 8" RCA sets from '56, in All the colors.... d.
Asside from the original Zenith TO (I've somehow acquired all of its younger siblings clean through the SS ones), and the 8"ers you just described my basement. ..... I still gotta immagine it since I ain't home at the moment.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Asside from the original Zenith TO (I've somehow acquired all of its younger siblings clean through the SS ones), and the 8"ers you just described my basement. ..... I still gotta immagine it since I ain't home at the moment.
Ah HATE Yew ! (Grin)....-Yosemite Sam, 1955