Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philco Roundie Hybrid

I wasn't planning on starting this thread for a while since I really did not think this set would just work, I planned on putting it in the que and starting a thread after I had some thing to talke about.

Well...

I tested the CRT, test good on all guns for emissons and cut off.

Since the guy I bought it from had turned it on to show me it worked (was not hooked up to a source and I could just barely see a red raster, hence the check of the CRT) I figured I would try it with a video source and see.

It has a very dirty tuner, so I had to find the sweet spot it it actually works pretty well. I will have to play with the CRT drives to balance the color (I could not find any tint control, and I guess the guy had been messing with it).

I could turn down each gun and then turn them up one at a time and get a nice red, then green then blue pic. A little messing about and I got a decent pic.

Its a tad short on vert deflection. I figure I should at least pull the chassis and check the bypass caps on the vert amp. There was not a hint of hum bars in the pic or hum in the audio. The pic was nice and clean.

I will get a screen shot later...

Its in a rather compact metal case which should complement my Maggie B&W console nicely (I plan to watch color on this and B&W shows on the maggie).

Last edited by DaveWM; 03-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice looking old girl there! I remember working on lots of that style chassis!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was just happy to see that it dd not have the cataract issue, I dont think this tube used that method (bonded lens to CRT) that I have on anohther set (a CTC-16).

Oh it has wood screw on legs as well. The metal cab in nice and rust free.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

looks like I need to read up on the mis adjustments re gray scale and I need ot find the tint control.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I wonder if that is one of those "Last gasp" roundies from the 1968-70 era ? Y'all remember those ads-"Full-size COLOR TV for $298" ? Think they've been posted here..Must have been a way to burn up stocks of round tubes-And TV tubes in general, as SS was catching on...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

I worked on several of those models and never saw a good color picture on any of them
Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well the tint control does nothing at all with the color. so I guess I will start there.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Uhf tuner works, I was able to pick off some low power analog stations. It is one of the detentless types. I like the way it works, it goes fast at 1st then slows down for fine tuning.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I rememember the ads for those-Big screen color for $299.95>
Great find!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
sampson159

we had the same set with a modern style small console.right around 1966-67.they delivered it saturday night.we watched the hollywood palace,mannix,news and the all night theater.the next morning-no high voltage!they came out tuesday and replaced a horizontal output tube.back in business!this set lasted about 6 years and it was replaced with a sylvania d 16 slide control.that philco became my set and i reluctantly sold it to some neighbors down the street.the picture was so good on that set it was amazing.lots of friends would come over to watch it with us.many compliments,especially when wrestling and roller derby was on.those were fine,fine,days.
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember roller derby, those were the days!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Before I do anything else, I am going to make a degausser coil and give it a good degaussing. then I will check.

I am going to buy some 22 gauge wire, and wrap around a form about 18" until its about 1/2 thick. Thats about what I recall them looking like.

After that I will go ahead an pull the chassis and look over for caps and out of spec resistance. There was no bypass cap on the vert osc tube so I will check it with a new tube and if need be adj the pot.

There are a few board mounted electros so I will check them as well as the cans, although I suspect the cans are ok.

I vac out all the dust so I could see things better, no obvious problems.

I am assuming the tuner is a waffer switch type. it will need some cleaning.

its got a few 6GH8's which is fine since I picked up a bunch of NOS ones at a local hamfest (a bunch of rat shack life time tubes).
Old 02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

That model looks to be from the pre Philco-Ford days...see if you notice any date codes. That yellow sticker on the CRT kind of dates it.

As for the CRT remember..21FBP is a non bonded safety glass tube while the 21FJP is.

You can remove the tube and clean between the two surfaces quite easily, there may be a sort of rubber gasket around the two surfaces but it's not glued or "sealed" in any way.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

back on it again, need a tuner cover, it was not on the set when I got it.

The color and convergence are spot on but one gun kept coming and going. I had a intermittent short on one of the 6GH8's, so I pulled the chassis, cleaned it up real well, replaced some coupling caps (brown drops that tested a little funky on my eye tube cap tester). the electros tested fine but for the cathode bypass on the audio out (open). I replace one just because i had taken it out fo circuit for test and the eye opened a little slower than a new one.

the pic was pretty snowy, I am hoping the cleaning if the contacts on the tuner will take care of that. I can't imagine what happened to the cover. Is it possible that with out the cover it could cause the snow?

anyway if anyone has a spare cover they could send my way just let me know how much. I would like to get it on now that I have the tuner cleaned up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuner.jpg (38.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

the best part...

of the tuner pic ..."Made in USA". How many sets can boast that today!
Audiokarma