Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

'62 Knight span master & '40 Silvertone 1561

I think I had a good day at the flea market this afternoon. The vendor who I usually buy stuff from had this Knight (Allied Radio) Span-Master BC/SW radio for $10. It needs a major cleaning; but, I didn't feel like I could go wrong for the price. It is a two tube regenerative set.

While walking around, I found this Silvertone in another booth from a vendor I didn't know.

It was marked at $48 and I decided that was a little more than I wanted to spend.

So, I walked up to the counter to pay for the Knight radio and the lady asked me if that vendor usually gave me a discount. I told her that he usually did; but, he wasn't there to ask and I was OK with the $10. She knocked it down to $8, anyway.

I asked about the Silvertone and after showing her where it was located, she told me that everything in that booth was half off; so, I ended up getting the Silvertone for $24. I felt like I could live with that price. The chassis number is 100.351 and I think it was made by Stewart-Warner. From my online research, I think the model is 1561. This is a six tube set (two stages of IF amplification) with BC/SW bands and there is something about this set that I've never seen. This is a power transformer set with a 5Y3 rectifier. The other tubes have six volt filaments, except for the output tube; which, is a 25C6. There is an oddball filament winding on the transformer that provides the 25 volts for the output tube and is tapped to provide the 6 volts to the other tubes. Also, there is a tag from a local, now long gone, radio shop. So, this radio must have spent it's life in my area. I think it will be an easy restoration.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Kewl ! Looks like a little Elbow Grease & some Howard's will do WONDERS on that Silvertone...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love silvertones for some reason. I'm looking for a chassis for a 6201. Mine was at the son in law's place, which burned to the ground, so now I have a cabinet and no chassis Checked at kutztown when I was there and did not find one.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those sets were a hodge-podge of whatever parts were available. They had war surplus, mfr's overruns, old stock, and whatever. So they made up a special transformer to accommodate the strange output tube, of which they probably got a few thousand for almost nothing.

When you are done, it will probably work fine, but be careful because I suspect finding a replacement output tube may be a challenge. Be SURE to replace the grid coupling capacitor with a new one.