Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Yep, just saw it myself!

It was a short spot, but they managed to make the CTC-4 look better than it actually did. They asked if any of the sets I had worked, so I fired up the Director and they took some footage that actually made it to the episode. It wasn't working as well as it normally does that day (predictably), but it didn't do too badly. I only wish it hadn't been such a small spot, my hope was to get a few words in edgewise. Oh well, I'll have the last word at the convention!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Aw, fudge! I missed it. Well, it will be shown again. Way to go, Nick!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Shipping Wars also airs overnite Wed. in the early AM. Airs again this Saturday at various times in the afternoon. This on A&E HD and standard networks. Check your cable listings.

-Steve D.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Shipping Wars also airs overnite Wed. in the early AM. Airs again this Saturday at various times in the afternoon. This on A&E HD and standard networks. Check your cable listings.

-Steve D.
Just checked here on the east coast, supposed to be at 11PM both SD and HD. I set the DVR to record...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Judging by the trailer I wouldn't let them touch anything of mine!
They might smash something just to spice things up.

Real life is nothing like these "Reality" shows.
Audiokarma
Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
Thanks John, I'm currently working on a way to download the video from my DVR so everyone has a chance to view it. BTW, I was recently in Pembroke Pines and realized that on my way back to North Carolina I drove right past your place. I should have given you a call, but the thought didn't cross my mind until now. I did stop by the UDT/SEAL museum in Fort Pierce though, that was pretty cool.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Judging by the trailer I wouldn't let them touch anything of mine! They might smash something just to spice things up. Real life is nothing like these "Reality" shows.
I do think that a lot of these shows have made up drama written into them, but Shipping Wars is more or less accurate. Roy was telling me all about his trials and tribulations getting started in the freelance world when he got here, and the show sums it up pretty well based on what he told me. No help but what you bring, sheisty and sometimes underhanded people who don't understand your work, routes that don't always work out, impossible time frames, and top it all off with unintended vehicle breakdowns and law enforcement officials who could care less that you're just trying to make an honest living.

All that said, I was in constant contact with Roy and he was very good about letting me know what was going on every step of the way. I used to just roll my eyes when people on TV call themselves 'professionals', but Roy really means it. He's a character no doubt about that, but I'd hire him again no questions asked. He did everything he said he would do and let's face it, it's getting harder and harder to find people like that these days.

As for things getting damaged in shipment, it's all in how you pack it. If you pack well enough, even a CRT can make it through some bad conditions. I had a 21AXP22 U-Shipped to me from Michigan in nothing more than a ratty old torn up box, it made it just fine. Can't say that for UPS, who managed to destroy a rebuilt CRT from Scotty even though it was in a purpose made CRT container.

As things stand right now, I'm far more comfortable using UShip for delivery of fragile items than any other service. You guys should give it a shot next time you need a valuable set moved, the prices might surprise you. Hate for this to sound like a pitch, but I have been impressed so far with the way things have gone.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
more comfortable using UShip for delivery of fragile items
U-Ship is what I used to ship the TM-10 monitor long distance. This after wasting a couple of months scratching around and searching for alternatives. It was delivered safely, a couple of days sooner than promised, for about 1/3 the price I was quoted by Craters & Freighters. (The seller bolted it to a pallet, covered in a sturdy cardboard container, and delivered it to the terminal, and I gladly paid him for that.)

Phil Nelson
Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
John-

If you have a computer hooked up to a decent display, and a pretty fast Internet connection, you can watch shows directly on www.aetv.com . I use a Windows 7 computer with Windows Media Center as my regular TV (on a 46" or 92" display), and in full-screen mode the shows on the site look pretty decent even in high-def. I watched a few episodes of the "Hoarders" show this way (and then realized I need to get rid of some things!).

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
Hey Nick, you're a TV star!

You were just moments ago on the new Shipping Wars show. Hopefully you were recording it. They showed picking the set up from Harry just before the break and then delivering it to you. Very nice.

Darryl
Ok, per Zap2it, there are two Shipping Wars episodes currently running:

Pilot: (Steel horse and Feed me Seymour}

Double Down and Bean Town: (Two large boats & British phone booth)

Which episode?
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 AM

Bean town is the one, the TV is a little more than halfway through the episode.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 AM
hposter

Shipping Wars..gives reality TV a bad name (worse name)

Hi All! Happy New Year

Hposter here....

well, I just viewed the Shipping Wars scene of the pickup of the prototype CRT for miniman82, and it was a real set-up! The producer told Anna and I, tell us all about your TVs..and the prototype in particular. I see that when they edited it, the trucker adds, I hate it when they tell me about their stuff....which is actually pretty funny, since his producer asked us to tell them. I see from his expressions, that it was a set-up, because he has a grimace...which meant the producer already knew exactly how he would edit the shot.

Then they had me go into the truck 3 or 4 times (only once is shown), to ask him about how the CRT/set was being packed...'Make it seem like you're very interested that it's secured properly' That's where they add, in editing, that he hates to have people question his technique. Hmmmm

Of course, it was delivered with no catastrophes, so that was nice!

For anyone that wants to record the video, or parts of it, go online and download a free program called HyperCam 2. Then, set up the screen, use HyperCam 2 to delineate the area of your screen the playback is actually on, and click record..then start the video..and Viola! you have an AVI clip that Media Player or others can play...so you can see that pesky Poster, over and over again.

If you have problems with no sound, just plug in your mike, put it touching your speakers, and then it'll pick up the audio as well.

See ya on TV...(I hope not!) Harry
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM

I got the feeling you were 'asked' to bother him as well, but what's reality TV without drama right? Roy was actually a nice guy, we BS'd a while during down time when the camera crew was handling business. He was saying they actually make a ton of money, it's not nearly as bad as they make it seem.

Thanks for the insight into making videos, but am I understanding you correctly in that you'd be making a video by filming a TV to get the footage? What I'm looking for is a way to directly download from the DVR, so it's as high a quality as possible. I don't know if filming my DLP TV would work, but I suppose I can give it a shot. I have a Sony handycam that uses digital tape, so it might not be too bad. For that, I already have an editing program.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 PM
hposter

Video recordings

Yes, drama it is!

On the video recording, when you play the video on the computer screen (I still use over-the-air broadcast--no cable, no DVR's--so computer downloads are the only way for me!!) this program allows you to record it as it downloads. There is a setting for 1028 on many downloads, so you could record that good.

Actually, I didn't realize anyone watched TV on televisions anymore..I see all the kids use i-phones or e-phones or...something. (No, I don't have a smart phone, either!)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Nick,

If I'm not mistaken.
Looks like we've really come full circle. If you plan to record (film is not a proper term here), the "Shipping Wars" episode off the screen, it can be likened to the old kinescope recording of live programs back in the 40's & 50's.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma