Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

tims roundscreens

Hi ak my name is ed. Tim gave me 3 roundscreen color sets in july. A emerson,silvertone and philco. I repaired the emerson and silvertone. haven't had the time to fix the philco. Tim asked me to post pictures so here they are. i will also post pictures of my other sets. Most of them are roundscreen color sets but i do have some cool looking b-w sets too.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Well ALL RIGHT!!!!

I'm glad to see them live again! How much work did they need?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewl

great looking sets mate....great to see them operating!
Old 10-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Welcome aboard, pal ! Nice to see a few more old roundies saved from oblivion ! Think you'll like it here-there's quite a contingent of us old TV nuts, most of whom are willing to share their experiences.-Sandy G.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Roundscreen! The pictures look pretty good on those sets! Would also like to hear what it took to get em going and also some chassis pix
Audiokarma
Old 10-21-2004, 08:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you. i am glad u like them. The wood on the emerson is so cool. Tim repaired the safty glass on the emerson and he did a nice job. Here is a list of repairs. emerson- tubes-1 power filter-hv wire and cup-horz cent control- resolder grounds and tube sockets-clean tuner- cap in vert.
silvertone-repair flyback-resolder grounds and color tube sockets-replace horz out,damper, hv rectfier and reg tubes-replace horz afc diodes.
Good thing i wrote this stuff down. I have been running the sets so more problems will show up. yes i am a tv nut, big time. been doing this for over 25 years. here is a picture of the emerson chassis also check out this1950 emerson b-w . picked it up in the east side. It was in a attic. It Has a working metel crt.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome, Roundscreen! I like that Silvertone...I always liked their sets. My mother has a high school yearbook with an ad for the local Sears store and they have a pic of the TV department. Probably the first place I'd ever seen a picture of a roundie.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Damn does run fast…

Woah, nice pictures

Mine aren't that good yet But they will be

Hey, is it me or is the Emerson chassis a LOT like a CTC-15? And it looks like my Sylvania 580, which is a CTC-15 ripoff, I think. It just screams "RCA". nothing wrong with that though. Did anyone besides Zenith have their own design in the roundie era, or were they all repackaged RCAs?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:50 PM
On Land

Welcome Roundscreen!

Nice jobs on those sets! Takes a lot of patience to get one of those babies going again. The Emerson chassis looks like a CTC-15 clone... or at least it does from the angle i saw in the photo.

Will be looking forward to seeing any other sets that you might have/had.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi ak.
bryan. what year was your moms high school year book? I think the silvertone is a 65 or 66. Charlie and nasadowski you are right. ctc 15. i have a ctc 15 down stairs and the chassis looks almost the same. the crt in the emerson has a emerson tag on it. Here are some pix of my ctc5.
I have 2 of them 1 deluxe and a super. the super is buried under other sets.
when i dig it out i will post.I use the rabbit ears on my sets. { don't have cable}.the tuners in old sets pick up some stations better than my 32" rca.
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Damn, Ed, MODERN TVs should have as good pictures as yr old roundies do ! Great lookin' sets ! Is it just me, or is watching an old roundie make you feel you're watching Something Special ?!? Guess it's just left over from when I was a kid, & ALL color sets were roundies, & getting to watch one WAS special-there weren't that many around, & not that much stuff was in color.-Sandy G.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

excuse me if my typing isnt great tonight, there is a kitten asleep in my arm!

that ctc-5 is great! i dont recall seeing that model before. yep, almost anything looks better on a roundie!

mom graduated in 66 so that would be about right. maybe someday i can sneak it out for a pic. iirc, shows a guy with a guitar & amp posing there with the tv's.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Roundscreen,

Add my welcome to the list. You have some great sets in your collection. Your CTC-5 "Asbury" produces a beautiful picture. I also have a CTC-5 Deluxe model "The Wingate". You can see it and the complete CTC-5 model line up and other goodies on my site:

http//:community.webtv.net/stevetek/StevesCT100

Steve
Old 10-24-2004, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sandy you are right. The modern tv does have a nice picture. Some roundies have better focus but the picture is not as bright. the tuners in old sets seem to hide static and over the air noise better. yes watching a roundie is something special. like when we were kids. i liked going to my aunt and uncles house and watching cartoons on there rca roundie. Bryan. I would like to see that picture. My typing is bad . And i don't have a kitty on my arm.
Steve. thank you. I will check out your site.{ asbury} So cool how rca gave the sets names.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:49 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Those are all beautiful sets with amazing pictures. You are to be commended sir.

Now can you please explain how a Re-Max real estate ad fits in with a burning, wrecked car?

Last edited by Carmine; 10-24-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Audiokarma