Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Administrator

My "new" Edison model D cylinder phonograph

Wife suggested we go antique hunting last weekend, and while I couldn't think of anything that I wanted, well, you know how that goes

I picked this up for what I thought was an amazing deal at $200, but it's got some issues. I was advised that while this is a Standard model "D", that the case and horn are actually Standard "A". Motor runs nicely and smoothly, though it's missing the gear guard up top. It's got the Model C reproducer, for the two minute records. Didn't come with the top cover.

Now when I bought this, I knew squat about these, though I've done Victrolas in the past. Similar yet different. Turns out that somewhere along the way, some ham-fisted retard decided that they were going to take apart the reproducer for some reason, so instead of figuring out how, they busted the pin block at the top (with the pin still in the reproducer), and removed the limit loop somehow, so now the reproducer is in two pieces. It took me three days with talking to a friend and doing research online to see exactly how this reproducer is supposed to work.

Since I have nothing to lose by attempting a repair on the reproducer, I'm going to order a new pin block and try to make a limit loop for this thing. Since they were never supposed to come out of the reproducer, nobody makes them.

Sapphire seems okay, and the diaphragm and other components are there.

Between the price of records and the price of parts on these things, I could easily spend a LOT of money on this. For now, I just want to try to make it play. Advice and thoughts are always appreciated, of course

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3335.jpg (63.6 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Celt; 11-14-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

And it's all solid state.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 AM
Peanut Head

Tim, I think you'll find that is a diamond stylus and not sapphire.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
And it's all solid state.
That is one way to look at it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Administrator

So I got a cylinder record today off eBay, to try the machine out. The motor soon loses torque, and gets slow, so I'll have to redo the spring like I did on the XI. And, tear everything apart and clean it. But at least I got some uneven honking out of it, which was encouraging.

Wife comes home from work, and I'm excited to show it to her, even in its present state, as everything was frozen when I got it. Wanted to take the cylinder record off the mandrel to show it to her, it was stuck, so I gave it a yank, and it crumbled in my hands.

Good thing the place I ordered from is only a 1 day turnaround. Just ordered two more cheapy 2 minute cylinders to test with. With any luck, I'll have them Saturday.

But still,
Old 11-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Tim, I think you'll find that is a diamond stylus and not sapphire.
Nope, this is a sapphire, you might be thinking of a diamond disc machine....
Old 11-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Peanut Head

Well...learn something new every day!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

The limit loop is fairly easy to make and replace. It is just a piece of bent metal.

The case is not a model A. The model Bs and onwards had taller cases to allow the spring support of the motor frame.

What type of reproducer does it have? The model type is on the stylus weight: the model C is for two minute records and the model H is for four minute records. Note the model K had a switch to select either the two minute or the four minute stylus. The two minute stylus shape is actually eliptical to improve high frequency response.

Two minute reords were produced from the early 1890's thru to 1912. Four minute wax were from 1908 thru 1912 and Blue Amberol 4 minute records were produced from about November 1912 until 1929. You may play the wax four minute Amberol and the later Blue Amberols with the sapphire four minute stylus.

I suggest you look for the authoritative book on the Edison Phonograph written by the late George Frow. It will explain all!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Administrator

That's the most expensive book I've ever seen.....$125

It's got the model C reproducer. I have to order the new pin block, but meanwhile a little dab of solder is keeping it in place long enough for me to play around with it a bit. Very very slight bend at the gear end of the mandrel shaft, so that needs to be replaced as well.

I'll have to post a video, at least it's getting something recognizable as sound, once I adjusted the speed.....right now it sounds like it's echoing like crazy.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM
electronics packrat

Ron Dethelson (sp.?) has also written some very good books on Edison phonographs. I've met Ron several times and talked with him at length on at least one occasion (he lives in my hometown).
Old 01-05-2014, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eeek! They are expensive. I bought mine many years ago new...

Keep looking as a cheaper one might pop up. It is the best book on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
That's the most expensive book I've ever seen.....$125

It's got the model C reproducer. I have to order the new pin block, but meanwhile a little dab of solder is keeping it in place long enough for me to play around with it a bit. Very very slight bend at the gear end of the mandrel shaft, so that needs to be replaced as well.

I'll have to post a video, at least it's getting something recognizable as sound, once I adjusted the speed.....right now it sounds like it's echoing like crazy.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Administrator

I kind of lost momentum on it. First thing I have to do is either get my reproducer built, or buy a good one......
Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats pretty cool
Old 01-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Administrator

I admit that I kind of got bored with it. It's one of those things that has a VERY high cool factor, especially as a decorative piece....but it's nothing that I think I'd use that often. My two Victrolas get used a LOT......I use the XI to play records all the time.....the Orthophonic has the cat bed sitting on top of it right by my desk, and that's where my cat sleeps. In fact, she's sleeping there right now.....lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

You probably already know about this site?

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/

Good info there, and some helpful folks on early machines.

We have a 1921 Brunswick floor model, and sometime I feel it's almost "too new" for some of the collectors there. A lot of cylinder machine collectors. Good "buy, sell, and swap" section for parts, too.
Audiokarma