Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Vintage Junkie

Arrow Working on a 1979 RCA VCT 400 can be a pain.

Well how often do see a 1979 RCA VCT 400 everyday? managed to find one at a thrift store a couple of weekends ago, the price was more then reasonable and even included the manuals. I think I had a little bit of a workout hauling it to the checkout at 38 1/4 pounds.

Anyway I found Rinoa Super-Genius on YouTube has a 78 RCA VBT-200 and I appreciated the tear down video on as it helped me out. After taking the time i too thought it was a belt issue i was having, since rewind and fastward both work but play didn't. Turns out the belt was slipping on the loading motor. I used rubber renvue to solve that issue temporary, but i ran into another problem that seems common on these late 70s RCA VCR's. There's two gears attached to the loading motor. One on the outside and one on the inside, that is kind of a pain to get to. On the RCA VBT-200 it's just a matter of unscrewing two screws on the underside of the vide head to access the screws to pull out the loading motor to get to the inside gear. On the RCA 400 there's three screws further in that you have to unscrew before you can get to the screw behind the underneath of the video head. the inside gear likes to crack and slips on the shaft that prevents the guide posts from moving. As the gear just slips on the shaft. I am in the process of trying some JB weld to see if the gear will hold. "Crossing fingers" i know from past projects the type of plastic they use to make gears it made of polypropylene and it seems nothing will stick to it. Maybe someone know's a better product to use.

Anyway will keep updates as the project goes. I heard these old vcr's were some of the best made, as i remember retrochad working on one.

Last edited by VintageLove; 07-10-2016 at 03:56 PM.