Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Thats quite interesting.....

Do you know when most stuff started dropping analog usage on C-band bud??

Im trying to think wheather the cable I was watching ON ANALOG CABLE IN THE 90s was totally analog! (If the source from C-BAND wasnt,it wasnt total analogue)
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back around 1989 I helped a Chinese friend set up a satellite dish (about 2 feet across) so he as his wife could get Chinese programming from some source in Los Angeles IIRC. They lived in upstate NY well out of range of New York City. An analog system, I had my friend set up a TV set on his patio so I could adjust the aiming of the dish, and the polarization of the module (LNB?) at the focal point of the dish. So I could get maximum signal to noise by looking at the results in real time on the set. I used my body to block some of the satellite signal when I was making final tweaks. He gave me my gold medal, seen in my sig picture below. I don't remember what band this system was on.

Found the Chinese video, then we had to tune a sound subcarrier tuner to get the correct language. Mandarin vs Cantonese (both sound like random noise to a white trash American such as myself). We also found what looked like news footage feed on other channels, as if one station was sending requested news footage to another TV station.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Do you know when most stuff started dropping analog usage on C-band??
Court TV was the first channel on C band to switch from NTSC to digital, in about 1996. The TV Food Channel (now called Food Network, I think?) was the first channel I know of that was digital right from the start, earlier than that but I do not remember what year. (When I say digital in this case, I mean the distribution to cable companies; it was definitely in NTSC to all of the subscribers as was everything else until the 21st century.)

The switch away from NTSC continued through the rest of the 1990s and early 2000s, but I was not a subscriber through that period (I had switched to HDTV), so I do not have more details than that.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."