Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Flybacks

Simple thread and right to the point.

Will certain RCA flybacks swap chassis to chassis?

Like for example, will a CTC20 Fly work in a CTC16 chassis? They look the same. I know these are becoming rare parts, so I'm wondering if they swap.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I do know that there are some roundie flys that can be subbed the differences are the hardware and the layout of the connections. I don't know if the flys for a 16 and 20 can be swapped but it can be done with modifications, careful mods.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Not sure how I got here.

You would have to match circuit voltage and current points. Frequency is the same, tunes
parts would need to be the same, you would probably have to change cap values so
you would still have a tuned circuit for the primaries & secondaries. Voltage taps would
have to be modified so the rest of the attached circuits would work.... Could be some work....

Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post

Like for example, will a CTC20 Fly work in a CTC16 chassis? They look the same. I know these are becoming rare parts, so I'm wondering if they swap.
Simple answer: Nope. RCA flybacks aren't interchangeable. Even the CTC16 and CTC16X have different flybacks. RCA used the same style flybacks, but the inductance, resistance, and winding count are all different. See Miniman82's thread on RCA flybacks for the cross to Thordarson/Triad, and you'll see the spread.

Even Muntz copies of some RCAs used a different flyback - I researched that before obtaining a spare fly for my CTC16. Sadly, RCA quit making tube flybacks in 1979, and Thordarson and Triad were the only aftermarket makers after that, up until 1985ish, when they quit supplying the common flys (FLY277, 308, 312) for RCA sets. There is a finite quantity left, and finding them is harder now.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 10-17-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well like squirrel boy said its involved but where the differences are would have to made up in several areas, cap values or resistor values. Of course fly backs are not interchangeable that's why there things to be done in order to use a fly back from one set to another, like maybe but not sure ctc11 and ctc12 . The later 60 s may have been harder or not possible at all to think about swapping flys but the early like the 11 and 12 could very well work with minor mods.
Audiokarma
Old 10-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Moyers has the last stash of RCA flybacks, but no CTC16 and earlier flybacks, only CTC17X:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-115876-T.../321551989338?

I called them right after Christmas, as I had a lead on a CTC15 with a bad flyback, but they let me know that CTC16 (113382 and 115876) and earlier flybacks were all gone...

My Thordarson data shows significant winding differences between the CTC16 and CTC17 flys...

Edit: Moyers is showing one CTC38 flyback, albeit the wrong part number listed 119824 instead of the correct 119834...

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 10-17-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Well like squirrel boy said its involved but where the differences are would have to made up in several areas, cap values or resistor values. Of course fly backs are not interchangeable that's why there things to be done in order to use a fly back from one set to another, like maybe but not sure ctc11 and ctc12 . The later 60 s may have been harder or not possible at all to think about swapping flys but the early like the 11 and 12 could very well work with minor mods.
Be sure and share those mods when you see them!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was probably the one to get the last fly 305 from moyers and i wound up trading tv collector the fly for a good 7jp4. The fly305 was for my ctc16 clone in a Maggie. And yes I heard the 16x is different but I never looked into that being I don't have an x series. I have a 16 chassis that now I don't have a spare fly for and if the original goes bad I will get another early fly 70 degree fly and I will post what was done to make it work. I also have a 12 that has a new fly 273 and a 15 with a new fly as well so I won't have to worry about those. The fly273 is probably the hardest to find the others I got from moyers. The 273 I got on eBay from a lot of fly backs and I spotted the box that showed fly273 and asked about getting a pic of that one and the owner asked if I need just that one so I said yes and he took it out of the lot relisted the others and sold me that one for 10.00 . But I'll never find another I'm sure, even for that cheap.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Electronic Surplus has a bunch of Thordarson flybacks, but no RCA stuff left, sadly. eBay and ETF classifieds are where I found my flyback - for my CTC16 and a CTC38 I used to have. I have saved eBay searches for about 19 flybacks by part number, and a generic RCA High-Voltage transformer search saved as well. I haven't run across any valid stuff in a while, although bgadow has a listing that i get results from.

Cheers,

Old 10-17-2015, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post

The CTC20 fly was an odd-ball. It was used in the last RCA roundie.
The big RCA distributor in town, didn't have one in stock. I had to wait for it. That was in the early 70's.
Audiokarma
Old 10-17-2015, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The CTC20 fly was an odd-ball. It was used in the last RCA roundie.
Yup, it was based on the CTC-19, which was a wholly different chassis (full of 6GH8s) designed to drive the new 19" small-neck rectangular tube, then back-engineered to drive the old Roundie tube.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Looks like at some point someone will have to begin rewinding flybacks from burnt
out ones.... It's gotta be easier than rebuilding a picture tube..... People with good
spares should measure all important parameters like resistance, inductance, and
all that good stuff, wire diameter, and begin keeping records, so when a rewind is
attempted it can be compared to NOS specs.....

Old 10-17-2015, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh. Well that buggers up the works then. Well at least I have a complete metal CTC20 then.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

What usually goes bad is the donut so when they go bad why not just use the solid state hv module there are loads of them on eBay. That unit takes care of the cart voltage as well as the focus voltage, IIRC .
Old 10-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
What usually goes bad is the donut so when they go bad why not just use the solid state hv module there are loads of them on eBay. That unit takes care of the cart voltage as well as the focus voltage, IIRC .
I don't think that is all - the donut is the primary and the secondary, so what generates the HV?

Solid State HV module - care to elaborate?

Audiokarma