Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

High hours CTC9

I picked this set up in Portland for $25 and it even came with the original hang tag owners manual and the guy said it belonged to his parents who bought it in 1959 and got a lifetime guarantee for 1 dollar a month and it has six stickers on the back for replacement picture tubes.. the last one is 1982 and that tube is week it also must have been all they could find at the time cause it is a bonded safety glass tube with a tinted clear glass not the glare proof and has no cataract too bad its shot. This set must have been on for many hours a day
to burn threw all those picture tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00539.jpg (73.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00536.jpg (87.5 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Not sure how I got here.

That's a nice looking tv with a really nice cabinet. Were all the tubes new, or were they rebuilds? is it indicated? Since older tubes were not as bright as the latest crt's I wonder how long until they were in need of replacement. Tubes that had max brightness at lower levels than todays tubes I bet were driven closer to their max than todays tubes. I know on my newer sets I keep them close to the brightness levels of our much older sets so there is not such a change going from one set to another. Well anyway it looks like you got the deal of the week! Congrats! X10
Old 06-15-2011, 03:54 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Just make sure the circuit cards aren't toast. Literally.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
That's a nice looking tv with a really nice cabinet. Were all the tubes new, or were they rebuilds? is it indicated? Since older tubes were not as bright as the latest crt's I wonder how long until they were in need of replacement. Tubes that had max brightness at lower levels than todays tubes I bet were driven closer to their max than todays tubes. I know on my newer sets I keep them close to the brightness levels of our much older sets so there is not such a change going from one set to another. Well anyway it looks like you got the deal of the week! Congrats! X10
Thanks.. The stickers do not say but the tube that is in it is a rebuild. It's to bad we can't get these rebuilt anymore.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 PM

Don't worry, the ETF will one day have something set up so save your duds! Meantime, you should be aable to locate a usable spare. I have a de-lensed FJP tube you could use, but I'm far from where you're at.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a feeling these round tubes are all slowly going to air. I have seen several aired ones and ones I have that seem to be getting weaker just sitting there.

I dont think it takes much air to severely effect emissions and not noticeably effect filament performance.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Just make sure the circuit cards aren't toast. Literally.
The boards are black from the heat not sure if want to restore this chassis since it is very high hours I had a low hour CTC10 I put in there for now it came from a set I junked a few years ago that all the knobs were missing and had a bad cabinet but the chassis looks like new and the picture tube was good and it works. I had to change one little part that unscrews where the tuner is and it hooked right up with no modification needed. Not original but a much better chassis.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Don't worry, the ETF will one day have something set up so save your duds! Meantime, you should be aable to locate a usable spare. I have a de-lensed FJP tube you could use, but I'm far from where you're at.
Thanks so much for the offer but I have a good tube to use that came in the CTC10 set.
I hope the ETF is able to do that I would certainly give them some business.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Wink

Nice set! If you ever want to sell it, let me know. Not too long of a drive from Boise!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Nice TV. I love that they really got their money's worth out of that guarantee/maintenance plan. Most "extended warranties" pushed at Best Buy and other stores now are not at all worth buying.

I wonder if that tube is one of the elusive "black matrix" roundies?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

great score i like it a lot.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set - cabinet looks good from here.

I see your CTC-9 has the gunk in the bottom of the safety glass like mine does. Was that an extra-cost feature?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 AM
M is for Memory

My Silvertone has a 21GUP22 which I've been told is a black matrix tube does that make it rare or desireable?

Tom C.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Tom-

The colors and geometry look fantastic on your 21GUP22, but I don't know if is a black-matrix CRT. I thought that term referred to the areas between the phosphor dots being black or very dark, or another method of making the screen appear dark, but a brief Google search returns descriptions of the internal construction of the shadow mask or other parts, so now I can't say how to find out. One benefit is supposed to be better contrast in a bright room.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 AM

I don't think there were ever any BM roundies, at least I've never seen one in person or any forum. It's been speculated they are a rare earth tube through, because of the shade of phosphor on the faceplate.