Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

No matter what, this won't be easy, it's been sitting since the 70s gathering dust, the neglect, and broken coil, working out how to debug it w/o a enclosure.

The SAMS says the tube is a 12LP4, though I can't see any numbers on the tube, but it IS an rca, the schematic for the RCA 630 shows a EM ion trap, the one for the FADA 895 does not.

I don't know if the SAMS is wrong, sams photofact "74-3" and it DOES have a EM ion trap, or it has a pm one and I did not see it, (did not look very close ), or it's lost over the years.
If lost, that is yet another thing I'd have to find for it
Old 12-09-2019, 10:30 AM
Workin' Late Again

According to Riders your 895 combo chassis originally used a 12LP4 and a PM Ion trap. Your model number picture shows the CRT socket wires have been snipped off, as if someone needed a socket in a hurry.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
According to Riders your 895 combo chassis originally used a 12LP4 and a PM Ion trap. Your model number picture shows the CRT socket wires have been snipped off, as if someone needed a socket in a hurry.
I have the socket, or at least what's left of it, it is damaged with cracked edges and frayed wire edges, I cut it with the intent to try to repair/replace it, the wires to it are no longer viable and were almost broken off, I wanted to keep what wire went to what pin, before any broke off, It is being kept in a safe place.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:44 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
I have the socket, or at least what's left of it, it is damaged with cracked edges and frayed wire edges, I cut it with the intent to try to repair/replace it, the wires to it are no longer viable and were almost broken off, I wanted to keep what wire went to what pin, before any broke off, It is being kept in a safe place.

If you need a CRT socket I can send you one for postage and whatever it's worth to you...I have plenty of spares for that generation of socket.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Workin' Late Again

There's surely no need for a cabinet to do the chassis restoration work, considering you need the chassis out on the bench. What would be handy is a 5AP4 or 8AP4 test CRT. The CRT would have originally been installed through the front of the cabinet, like on an RCA 630.
Audiokarma
Old 12-09-2019, 12:15 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
There's surely no need for a cabinet to do the chassis restoration work, considering you need the chassis out on the bench. What would be handy is a 5AP4 or 8AP4 test CRT. The CRT would have originally been installed through the front of the cabinet, like on an RCA 630.
Yup, a cabinet is needed for only 3 things: making it look presentable in a main room of a nicely furnished home, keeping children as well as adults of comparable IQ to children from touching live terminals while the set is running/holding charge from it's last run, and to facilitate stacking stuff (like other TVs ) on top of it.

If you wanted you could set the bare chassis on top of a spare fridge in a garage or basement where looks don't matter and it's high enough that kids can't reach it, and as long as no one tries to stack bags of chips on it (honey why do I smell plastic, potatoes and grease burning? ) it could be the fridge TV.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you need a CRT socket I can send you one for postage and whatever it's worth to you...I have plenty of spares for that generation of socket.
I will most likely take you up on that later when the time comes.

https://imgur.com/fE1UWZA

My children...

I will have to search my shed one cool day to see if the Ion trap ( and knobs ) are around someplace. I hope they are.

I got so much stuff, not sure what all is in there, I got like 2 dynakit mark ii s , a sansui 1000. several barco data projectors .
Old 12-09-2019, 01:14 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
My children...
Awe, they're so cute and furry. We lost our Siamese Hairy to kidney failure about a year ago. Kind of miss him peaking out from under the Christmas tree this year.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:52 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I will most likely take you up on that later when the time comes.

https://imgur.com/fE1UWZA

My children...

I will have to search my shed one cool day to see if the Ion trap ( and knobs ) are around someplace. I hope they are.

I got so much stuff, not sure what all is in there, I got like 2 dynakit mark ii s , a sansui 1000. several barco data projectors .
If you can't find the ion trap there is a fair chance I have a spare for that too...back in fall I scored a handful of 10" and 12" round CRTs and IIRC they all had traps on them.

Cute cats. We used to feed a stray called Charlie that looked just like the big one. Our calico hated him and all other cats passionately.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 PM
The Resident Brony

I just so happen to have Sam's #74 set. It says 10BP4 everywhere until you look at the tube list, where it says 10BP4 in models TV-30, 799, 899 and 12LP4 in 930 and 940. Note that 895 is not listed. Sam's website calls for 74-3 anyway. I can't imagine it's much different though. I'd imagine the 895 is the combo unit version, which the model label on yours agrees with. Likely it either has provision for audio input, or lacks the final audio stage because it would be in the radio chassis.

You already mentioned that it might've been in a custom enclosure in a bar, right? Maybe someone got a little crazy and changed the crt to the bigger option (which would make sense for public viewing). Or, hey, maybe the crt took a dump at some point and they replaced it with a bigger one. Either way, that front cover might actually be for the 10" version, maybe that's why it seems so small. Cuz 895 is much closer to 899 than 930/40.

idk

Last edited by MadMan; 12-09-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-17-2019, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ion control...
https://imgur.com/r3Yt9S5

is this the sort of thing I'm looking for?

Funny, every time I see “Ion trap” I tend to think about the big Ion Cannon from empire strikes back. :p
Old 12-17-2019, 11:02 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Ion control...
https://imgur.com/r3Yt9S5

is this the sort of thing I'm looking for?

Funny, every time I see “Ion trap” I tend to think about the big Ion Cannon from empire strikes back. :p
Yes.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:14 PM
The Resident Brony

'Ion trap' is sort of a misnomer anyway, isn't it? As I understood it, the ions and electrons are shot off at an angle, and the ion trap magnet straightens out the electron beam only and not the ions.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:59 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
'Ion trap' is sort of a misnomer anyway, isn't it? As I understood it, the ions and electrons are shot off at an angle, and the ion trap magnet straightens out the electron beam only and not the ions.
The early ion traps had 1 magnet to help steer everything towards the neck wall and a second magnet to steer just the electrons back through the end of the gun...as time went on someone figured out it was cheaper and just as effective to drop a magnet and only use one to straighten the electron beam.

On another starwars note, when I was a kid in the 90s after killing (at 2-4 years old because I wanted to know why sound came on instantly but picture took time) the 70s Quasar WID color some of my first memories are of watching, and trying for years to convince my folks to let me take it apart at something like age 10 I dismantled it and later smashed the CRT (my friends and I wanted to watch ourselves on TV) and ended up keeping the electron gun because it resmebled a light saber... I still have it all these years later.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
On another starwars note, when I was a kid in the 90s after killing (at 2-4 years old because I wanted to know why sound came on instantly but picture took time) the 70s Quasar WID color some of my first memories are of watching, and trying for years to convince my folks to let me take it apart at something like age 10 I dismantled it and later smashed the CRT (my friends and I wanted to watch ourselves on TV) and ended up keeping the electron gun because it resmebled a light saber... I still have it all these years later.
Sounds like something I would of done at that age!
Audiokarma