Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Early Chromacolor II, $22 on craigslist

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ele/510660724.html

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Sorry, thought I was on the swap board...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice,

Thats my favorite chorma II. Ive run into a few just like it over the years but for some reason I kept giving them away. Probably because I didnt take much interest in solid state sets then, but I do now. Id like to find one and keep it for good.

BTW, Chris, thanks for your offer on picking up the zenith, but I dont have anyone available to get it to buffalo in time. I appriciate it very much though. Im still working on other methods as to getting it over here.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

That too is my favorite Chromacolor II and they used to be common as dirt when I was a teenager in the early to mid '90's. Most of the ones I found were easy to repair and had great pictures. I found one about a year ago (19HC48, 10/76) for $10. It works; but, I've still got to do some work on it to get it just right. Sometimes, the picture gets very dim. A slap on the case may restore it for 10 minutes or 2 weeks. I cleaned all the switches & controls as well as resoldered and reseated the modules. I thought I had it fixed; but, it started doing it again and I have not had a chance to go back into it. I need to move it into the house so I can see what kind of reaction I get from the cable guy when he comes to hook me up Thursday! It's strange that these sets went from being common to hard-to-find almost overnight.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a set that looks similar to this but it has several tubes in it with insta-view. The name on it is Sears. I'm wondering if my set is an earlier Zenith made for Sears.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I have a set that looks similar to this but it has several tubes in it with insta-view. The name on it is Sears. I'm wondering if my set is an earlier Zenith made for Sears.
I don't think Zenith ever made a TV for Sears. Your set could have been made by Warwick, Sanyo, Toshiba, or Wells-Gardner. Those were the companies that made most Sears TV's back then. I think the first three digits of the model number (ex: 528.xxxxxx) is a code as to who made it.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thats the exact same set like one I had. A guy gave it to me. It worked at first. Then I turned it on and I heard a loud pop and the picture went out. The tripler and that capacitor blew and ruined the picture tube. I tossed that tube and cabinet but I saved the chassis and controls.
John
Old 12-26-2007, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln1966 View Post
Thats the exact same set like one I had. A guy gave it to me. It worked at first. Then I turned it on and I heard a loud pop and the picture went out. The tripler and that capacitor blew and ruined the picture tube. I tossed that tube and cabinet but I saved the chassis and controls.
John
A reminder that if any of these sets are found; the back should be removed so the safety cap can be inspected before operating the set. If it's an orange cap, you're OK. If it's a white cap, it needs to be updated to the orange cap before the set is operated. Those white caps are a bomb waiting to explode and will cause the HV to run very high and it will take out the CRT and maybe other parts. I think the white cap was used in E and F lines. I think the problem was fixed in later models.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was unaware of anything like that at the time. I learned about it on here afterwards. I had another set just like it offered to me later on but I passed on it. The cord had already been cut off.
John