Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 AM
AK Member

Free Roundie in Casnovia, MI

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/zip/482812558.html
Old 11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like a nice fixer-upper. Quick cataract job and good to go. I'd grab it in a heartbeat if it was close.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:14 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

The giant marshmallow looks tasty!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:02 PM
running out of space

Admiral c7221

I brought home this set lastnight after a 3 hour drive through sleet and snow. Its an Admiral model c7221. VHF only with provision for UHF on the front plate. On first expection the chassis seems to be complete, if not covered in 40 years of dust. Any restoration advice, a manufacturing year, or schematic would be great if you have it. I will post more pictures when I get this cleaned up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of CIMG6180.JPG (49.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of CIMG6183.JPG (45.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of CIMG6185.JPG (57.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-26-2007, 03:01 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Huh, didn't know it was an Admiral from the craigslist post... Thought it was an RCA. Also figured Doug would grab it, seeing as how it was on the western end of MI.

Glad it was saved.

So what kinda of duty did you have to pay coming through customs with that thing? I figure a customs agent wouldn't believe somebody wanted an OLD tv set, and would make you bust open the CRT to prove it wasn't filled with US cigarettes or iPods!
Old 11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

glad you saved it too. I considered grabbing it but wasnt very serious about it. I was thinking of having my brother pick it up for me as he lives in Grand Rapids. Im glad someone else got it. Lots of times I feel almost obligated to save these old sets if they are close enough as they will get thrown out otherwise (unless another collector steps in of course).

Hopefully you have a strong CRT in that set. Look forward to hearing on its progress.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Especially nice to see an Admiral saved! The control panel is similiar to my T-1000 (which was their return to building their own color chassis) so this must have been just before they switched. The lower knobs, for instance, are the same.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I've had one of those... It's an RCA CTC-12 clone. As far as I know, it's 100% identical except for the tuner control head. The service manual should be easy to get in Sams or factory RCA. The Admiral version should be in Sams also.

Charles
Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Time to buy a kiddie pool and soak that CRT in water. The safety glass will fall right off after about three days. No heat guns or prying required.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 PM
running out of space

safety glass removal

Simply soaking in water will remove the safety glass? That makes me a little more eager to start this restoration. The idea of cooking a potentially explosive device with a heat gun had me a bit scared.
At the moment the pieces of my ctc 7 cabinet are in various stages of refinishing. When my African mahogany veneer comes in at the end of the week, and the ctc 7 is out of the garage, perhaps I will start on the Admiral. I was going to bring it up on a variac tonight, but I didn't get to it.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

The water soak method that was described in a previous post seemed to work well for the Zenith style tubes that had the green halo around the edge. The tube in this one must be the RCA style since it looks like mold (cataracts) behind the safety glass and the water soak method doesnt work well on these so a heat gun will have to be used. The good thing about this tube is the cataract takes up 75% of the tubes surface so it should be an easy one to do. Where the cataract is visable, the safety glass has already started to separate from the face so you only have a small area left to do before it pops off. In depth descriptions on how to do this is mentioned on other post's listed in the early color tv forum on here. Of course follow all safety precautions mentioned when doing this procedure. I would test the tube first to make sure its ok before removing the cataract for obvious reasons. Why remove it if the tube is a dud unless you wanted it to display better until you found a replacement or to practice cataract removal. Thats a nice set and cant wait to see it working. All the other ctc12-16 type chassis' sets seen on here should give you an idea on how well this will play when done. Good Luck and nice save!
-Tony
Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 AM
mike g

well the water soaking method sounds safe . I once tried heating the glass with a heat lamp carefully and had a tube blow up in my shop, since then i attempted to remove a safety glass again .
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

As I understood, the water worked even faster on the RCA PVA than the zeniths.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 AM
sampson159

that glass is so loose it wll practically fall off. my rca wasn t that bad and the safety glass practically pulled off with out much heat. that looks like a 10 minute
job to me!
Audiokarma