Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I went ahead and fired it up with the horizontal output, damper and vert output tubes, I did get a raster, a horizonal color bar like it's in service mode even though it's really set in normal mode, the bar is nice and bright and very sharp, encouraging news the CRT looks to have lots of life..
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I went ahead and fired it up with the horizontal output, damper and vert output tubes, I did get a raster, a horizonal color bar like it's in service mode..
Could just be a dirty service switch. That seems to be quite common when a set hasn't been powered up in a long time.

Nice find!

-Clark
Old 05-30-2012, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys for the compliments.. Yes I'm glad I saved it from being a gutted prop or fish tank... I think the person who sold it to me is more happy about that too..

Last edited by tvcollector; 05-30-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I made a short video of the TV.. I had to turn down the brightness so you all can see the colors a bit better, in service mode it displays two horizontal color bars, I don't know if this is normal or not (I thought all three colors) It shows a strong red, and a more clear color, (Sometimes the camera sees the bar a blue color) I can adjust a more greenish with the drives.. I'm worried about the CRT and if it's good.. I can't remember correctly if the service mode is suppose to display all three color bars or just two.. In normal mode I know I have vertical issues, you can see the color bar jump like the screen wants to fill.. I'm just concerned about the CRT seeing how my number 8 socket is screwy on my Sencore CR70.. Here is the video..

http://youtu.be/5fpiq4qIUSg
Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Either a vertical issue or a VERY dirty service switch. Try cleaning the switch first. You need to check all the tubes in that section. May be a bad cap(more likely)
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not worried about the vertical issue, I cleaned the service switch, I'm more worried about the CRT, before restoration is started.. I can't remember correctly if thats the way the service mode is suppose to display the bars (only two), or should it be three? Im just making sure that the blue gun wouldn't be out in the CRT..

Last edited by tvcollector; 05-30-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM
"Book em Dano!"

should be 3. turn the drives down all the way and try red, then blue, then green turning the previous one back down before the next. One gun may be weaker than the others. the CRT is probably OK. looks pretty bright
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's two drives green and blue, I turn those up and down and I get either a greenish color or a clearish color on the bottom bar.. I go over the the red, green, blue screen section and I can get the bottom bar to turn blue or green, but still only two bars...

Last edited by tvcollector; 05-30-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Sorry, I meant the screen controls. Over to the right of the green and blue drive controls
Old 05-30-2012, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

With the screen section turned all the way down on all colors, I get a dim (top bar) red, and the bottom bar a dim blue.. The blue gets brighter as I turn the blue drive up, I turn the blue down and the green up, the bottom bar turns green.. I turn the red up and the top red bar gets a brighter red..
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I think the CRT is OK, at least it will be watchable. all 3 colors seem like they are there. maybe it's time to purchase a CRT tester. They are pretty cheap on eBay or someone here may have one to sell. Do you have a tube tester?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think my CRT tester has a bad socket.. I only have one for now until I have the finances to purchase a second one.. All the colors are there and very bright, it's just I don't understand why there is not a third bar for all the colors..
Old 05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
"Book em Dano!"

You may have a bad tube in the set, dirty sockets, bad caps etc. Figure out the vertical problem before you burn lines into the screen. Test all the tubes first. 6GH8's and 12BY7's are notorious for being bad/shorted. Almost every tube in my magnavox(ctc-15) was bad. Are the electrolytics getting toasty after running the set?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, I have it alined now where I can see three bars, the blue is on the bottom, but i have to look closely to see blue, and middle is still more of a clearish green color, and the top is bright red.. When I first powered the set on without the vert out, damper, and hor out, the electrolytics got very hot, they seem to not get hot now for some reason..
Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Sounds like you have some work to do. Good luck with your 16. Let us know the progress on it.
Audiokarma