Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow...you got SIX CT-100s ?!?..... I'm not worthy.....I'm not worthy....(Doing his best Wayne's World genuflection/bowing here...)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Speaking for myself and one other collector who will participate, one tube at first to see how the results are, then I am thinking 3 to 5 more tubes @ $1000 ea, but not all at once. Of these, only one has no white stuff in the neck. That one has no green emission, and an intermittent short on the blue. The others are without vacuum. One may have a phosphor problem too, which obviously rules it out. I'd have to look at it, and it's hopelessly buried for now.

Charles
Old 09-19-2008, 03:44 PM
AK Member

$1200 to $1500 each
I have one under vacuum with VERY low emission and one that has gone to air.
I also have 3 tubes with excellent emission. Since I have 4 sets that use 15GP22s that leaves me short one good tube. Sure hope this rebuild project works out. Good luck to all those trying to make it happen.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

That early phosphor really does have incredible greens and reds. I've had a CTC-5 with 21AXP22 set up right next to a newer roundie, and there's no copmarison. (nameless other AK member) was the first to demonstrate that for me, with a laserdisc of South Pacific on a CT-100.

Charles
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

One thing that must be noted is that the same signal (from the same DVD) when put into a modern tube and the 15GP22, will ALWAYS show less-yellow greens on the 15GP22. This in no way indicates what the colors from that DVD SHOULD be. In fact, it is very likely that the color was restored while viewing on a modern (very accurate, but still modern) CRT, and that is what the srudio intended on that DVD.

However, one might surmise that IF the studio used an extended range monitor, it might have at some point produced an extended range master which was then rendered to be as good as possible on a modern display. This could include the choice to either keep the correct hue of a true green or go for higher saturation, but not both. There are similar, but much more severe, color rendering choices to be made in converting computer images to printed output.
Audiokarma