Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2017, 12:01 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 777
WTB - '39 RCA Victor R-100 phono attachment

I'm on a search for one of these small RCA bakelite phonograph attachments. I'm looking for one in good condition that has been restored to good working order. Willing to pay going price for a nice example. Please let me know if you have a similar styled/era model too. Thank you. Joe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
I'm on a search for one of these small RCA bakelite phonograph attachments. I'm looking for one in good condition that has been restored to good working order. Willing to pay going price for a nice example. Please let me know if you have a similar styled/era model too. Thank you. Joe
That thing had to have the big and nastiest tone arm of any phono at the time.
Isn't that the model that you had to spin and start?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2017, 12:47 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
That thing had to have the big and nastiest tone arm of any phono at the time.
Isn't that the model that you had to spin and start?
Yes. These attachments are very primitive units, but fun to use if you have a pile of old 78's. The tone arms use old Victrola needles. On these bakelite models the arm is fairly light. The earlier models were metal! Good thing average 78's are plentiful and never will be very desirable, so I just enjoy playing them!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Celt's Avatar
Celt Celt is offline
Super Maude
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Paragould, Arkansas
Posts: 1,531
I like how the arm leans to the right...
__________________

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
I like how the arm leans to the right...
That's Steve's from the Early Television Foundation. I believe it's atop of a '39 TRK-12 TV. The tone arm on these phono attachments feel very loose and often lean. It doesn't matter much as they use the old replacement steel needles. They sound decent through a nice console though!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 10-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 8,926
I had a radio/phono with that arm it was at LEAST as heavy as the average metal arm of the day. As long as your 78's are worn these are fine, but most period gear is too rough on records to be acceptable for proper record life.
__________________
Tom C.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I had a radio/phono with that arm it was at LEAST as heavy as the average metal arm of the day. As long as your 78's are worn these are fine, but most period gear is too rough on records to be acceptable for proper record life.
I used to hardly play any of my 78's, 45's, and 33's, especially on old equipment. In the last few years I realized that I'm either going to be giving them away at one point or they'll end-up in a dumpster, so I just enjoy playing them. The typical record collection of popular music is of nominal value these days anyway and will just go down in value. I spoke to a long-time serious record dealer recently who removes common 78's from collection buys and puts them right in the dumpster!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 AM
David Roper's Avatar
David Roper David Roper is offline
console lover
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,937
It sits on the TRK-5. I have never found out why the spindle is way too narrow. I can only think that something was attached to it at one time and is now missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
That's Steve's from the Early Television Foundation. I believe it's atop of a '39 TRK-12 TV. The tone arm on these phono attachments feel very loose and often lean. It doesn't matter much as they use the old replacement steel needles. They sound decent through a nice console though!
__________________
tvontheporch.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:12 AM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
It sits on the TRK-5. I have never found out why the spindle is way too narrow. I can only think that something was attached to it at one time and is now missing.
My wooden '38 model has the same spindle. It goes to a thin metal bracket that is rather loose. These attachments were cheap units and not of great quality, although you can't kill the motors!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
It sits on the TRK-5. I have never found out why the spindle is way too narrow. I can only think that something was attached to it at one time and is now missing.
When the units were new, there was a rubber cap that was the diameter of the record center hole. It was possibly used as an isolation to minimize motor noise to the record. Naturally, after almost 80 years, they crumbled away.
You should be able to fabricate something out of rubber to equal the diameter of the hole and slip it on the shaft.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:29 PM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
When the units were new, there was a rubber cap that was the diameter of the record center hole. It was possibly used as an isolation to minimize motor noise to the record. Naturally, after almost 80 years, they crumbled away.
You should be able to fabricate something out of rubber to equal the diameter of the hole and slip it on the shaft.
OOpps! I misunderstood and was writing about the spindle that holds the tone-arm. Yes, the spindle centers are often missing on these units. My '38 wooden model had a homemade nipple on it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
OOpps! I misunderstood and was writing about the spindle that holds the tone-arm. Yes, the spindle centers are often missing on these units. My '38 wooden model had a homemade nipple on it.
Remove the clip or other fastener that holds the tone arm. It possibly had some kind of rubber sleeving for noise isolation. Some kind of hose might work.
The last time, I saw one of those was over 50 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-17-2017, 11:56 AM
dtvmcdonald's Avatar
dtvmcdonald dtvmcdonald is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 796
The RCA U-10 Radio-Phono that I use with my TT-5 TV has that tone arm.

The tilt is easily fixable. I forget what I had to do to it. Its astoundingly heavy.
The U-10 does sound OK with it and the super-kludge repair I did on the cartridge,
after a change in the RC network on the phono input (it sounded better
on the TV input before I dinked around.) I have not noticed any degradation in
the sound after many plays of my favorite 78 records.
I do change needles after every two sides.; they really get flat spots!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-17-2017, 05:30 PM
Boobtubeman's Avatar
Boobtubeman Boobtubeman is offline
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Woodland Ca.
Posts: 761
Speaking of large tonearm 78 only players.. Heres my working little doorstop..

SR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phono78.jpg (71.7 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-18-2017, 11:40 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
Speaking of large tonearm 78 only players.. Heres my working little doorstop..

SR
I thought it looked like an Emerson. Same knobs and handle as my 505 portable radio.
I got a kick out of the Cheap'n'nasty Tops record. They were poor remakes of the popular tunes of the day, by unknown recording artists.
They were sold in the five'n'dimes.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.