Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Need help on ctc 15 power supply

if you look at the print ..c2..filter will get very hot and blow out ..it is like it has a short but all that is in that circuit is the voltage dubbler all the loads are removed.....I will love any advice ...thank you scott
Old 06-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

If all other loads are removed (Rectifier, HV) then it possibly could be a shorted transformer. Have you even replaced c2 with modern caps? C2 is a main filter right off the transformer and a filter for a 390v source. If the transformer or the rectifier is shorted, it will surely kill that cap even without a heavy load on it. But then again, if you left the original cap in it could have shorted a while ago as it aged. Shorting filter caps are not all that uncommon, Ive had a few shorted filters in some scopes that make the rectifier tube blow up. You might find better help if you post about this in the tech category here.

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:21 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

I repaired a CTC-15 not long ago that shorted one of its top hat style B+ rectifiers, typically though that will blow the breaker unless that went bad as well (likely). Check the rectifiers with your DMM diode test function, you should get something like .5v one way and nothing the other way. If you get close to 0, it's shorted. Also it could just be a bad cap, happens all the time.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK I got it to work....it did have new caps and then I ran it but then that is when the one cap got hot and smoked...you guys were correct the top hat diode to ground was shorted and the smoked cap had all the load on it ...thank you for your help