Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Dude111 Dude111 is offline
Analogue is Awesome
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,717
Isnt it sad how things ALWAYS GET WORSE?????? (99% of the time)

No reason for lag on that game with ANY VERSION of that!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-23-2016, 12:52 AM
RCAZenith RCAZenith is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by slatton86 View Post
Just a little piece of info,

That Yamaha chip was only on the early model 1's, The ones that actually say "High Definition Graphics" after that Sega slapped a Z80(?) in there and that combined with some CPU power almost emulated the Yamaha.

One of my favorite game, Hellfire and a few others from 89/90 will lag on the later consoles.

Sorry I have stumbled upon my profession here.


They always had the Zilog Z80 chip - that is the chip that the Sega Master System ran as a processor. The genesis is 100% backwards compatible with the master system IF you use a power base converter.

The Yamaha chip (2620?) was used on the first 7 board revisions of the Genesis (2,3,4,5,6,6.5, & 6.8). The va7 model 1 Genesis got a Yamaha 3430 on an integrated chip that was fed thru a crappy amplifier that distorts the dog mess out of the audio. In theory, this should provide better sound, but it is ruined by the bad sound amplifier. The Va0, Va1, and va1.8 variants of the model 2 Genesis also suffered with the integrated 3430 chip.

I own a Va 6.5 or 6.8 Genesis and it lacks the "high definition graphics" sticker and has superior sound to my Va7 Genesis and (2)-Va3 model 2's.
__________________
Game Room TV's:

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2016, 09:18 AM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,489
You know I was never an SNES fan. Nintendo's censoring of games like Mortal Kombat really turned me off to them after the NES days. I went from NES to Sega, then from that to the N64 because Mario 64 blew my mind at the time.

I tried SNES emulation a few years ago to see what I missed out on. Played Super Mario World and a few other games, and overall the experience was meh. Super Mario World was too different from 3 for me to like (though now I see where Mario 64 got some of its ideas like the cap switches. I didn't care for most of the music, (though Link To The Past had some good music)

IMO the SNES is only really likable if you're the person who owned one as a kid, back when you were young and impressionable. However it's too nerfed and kiddified to like it as an adult who never owned one as a kid. Whereas I can go back to the Genesis and beat the shit out of opponents, or race through levels in a blue blur, or play the Beavis and Butthead game, or Stimpy's Invention... the games have more of a cool, edgy factor.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2016, 09:43 AM
RCAZenith RCAZenith is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
You know I was never an SNES fan. Nintendo's censoring of games like Mortal Kombat really turned me off to them after the NES days. I went from NES to Sega, then from that to the N64 because Mario 64 blew my mind at the time.

I tried SNES emulation a few years ago to see what I missed out on. Played Super Mario World and a few other games, and overall the experience was meh. Super Mario World was too different from 3 for me to like (though now I see where Mario 64 got some of its ideas like the cap switches. I didn't care for most of the music, (though Link To The Past had some good music)

IMO the SNES is only really likable if you're the person who owned one as a kid, back when you were young and impressionable. However it's too nerfed and kiddified to like it as an adult who never owned one as a kid. Whereas I can go back to the Genesis and beat the shit out of opponents, or race through levels in a blue blur, or play the Beavis and Butthead game, or Stimpy's Invention... the games have more of a cool, edgy factor.


You know, there is a reason I have a NES and a Genesis hooked up, and the SNES in a box.... You nailed it.
__________________
Game Room TV's:

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2016, 10:59 AM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,489
Yeah I think I nailed it but I'd like to expand on this.

On a technical front the SNES wins over the Genesis. It had a slower CPU then the Genesis, but it had the better color palette, better controller, and better sound.*

* Genesis sound depended heavily on the game. Some games had good sound but many, many Genesis games had awful, garbled, static filled sound.

But the Genesis had something the SNES didn't, adult content. Now I DO NOT mean adult content like pornography. Let me explain:

Think of the old Looney Tunes shorts from the 1930's to about the 60's. Those were made for an adult audience. They were originally shown in theaters and were aimed at adults. Now adults back then weren't looking for gruesome violence or pornography so those cartoons survive to this day and kids can watch (most of) them. That said they were aimed at adults and the writing reflected that. That being the case those old cartoons still hold up to this day. You see newer examples in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. Those two shows were technically aimed at kids, but they wanted adults to watch as well. So you get references that fly over kids heads, but that adults can pick up on and laugh at.

Atari 2600 games were aimed at adults. Hell, some games for the 2600 were blatantly pornographic (though the 2600's graphics being what they were, you didn't see much)

The NES was more kid focused, but didn't shut out the adult audience. Not with games like Ghosts and Goblins, Contra, Captain Skyhawk, and Faxanadu. All games that kids can and did play, but they had that harder edge of an adult oriented game.

By the time the SNES came around it was the 90's and the mentality of "OH GOD WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM EVERYTHING!!!!" had taken hold. Nintendo bought into this full force and their games lost that edge. This doesn't mean their games sucked or that no effort was put into them, far from it. However they shut out the older kids and adults who, like me, went over to Sega.

Now the N64 won me back with its smooth, mind blowing (at the time) 3D. That and Rare made Goldeneye. Then they made Perfect Dark. Then they flat out gave Nintendo's censorship policies the middle finger and made Conker's Bad Fur Day... But by then I owned a Playstation which became the best console for adults and older kids, followed by the PS2 which was a huge success!

Nintendo launched the Game Cube which, well, wasn't as successful. The purple color, weird disc format and lack of "hard" games left it trailing behind the PS2 and Xbox

Slight resurrection with the Wii because of its innovative motion controls, but after a few years people got sick of that crap, and sick of breaking their TV's by accidentally throwing the Wii-mote.

So today Nintendo still makes good games and consoles, but outside of little kids and adults with nostalgia filters, nobody cares. Games nowadays, enemies aren't "defeated", they're straight up killed, often in bloody ways. They're written for adults, as they should be.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 04-23-2016, 11:57 AM
RCAZenith RCAZenith is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
Yeah I think I nailed it but I'd like to expand on this.



On a technical front the SNES wins over the Genesis. It had a slower CPU then the Genesis, but it had the better color palette, better controller, and better sound.*



* Genesis sound depended heavily on the game. Some games had good sound but many, many Genesis games had awful, garbled, static filled sound.



But the Genesis had something the SNES didn't, adult content. Now I DO NOT mean adult content like pornography. Let me explain:



Think of the old Looney Tunes shorts from the 1930's to about the 60's. Those were made for an adult audience. They were originally shown in theaters and were aimed at adults. Now adults back then weren't looking for gruesome violence or pornography so those cartoons survive to this day and kids can watch (most of) them. That said they were aimed at adults and the writing reflected that. That being the case those old cartoons still hold up to this day. You see newer examples in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. Those two shows were technically aimed at kids, but they wanted adults to watch as well. So you get references that fly over kids heads, but that adults can pick up on and laugh at.



Atari 2600 games were aimed at adults. Hell, some games for the 2600 were blatantly pornographic (though the 2600's graphics being what they were, you didn't see much)



The NES was more kid focused, but didn't shut out the adult audience. Not with games like Ghosts and Goblins, Contra, Captain Skyhawk, and Faxanadu. All games that kids can and did play, but they had that harder edge of an adult oriented game.



By the time the SNES came around it was the 90's and the mentality of "OH GOD WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM EVERYTHING!!!!" had taken hold. Nintendo bought into this full force and their games lost that edge. This doesn't mean their games sucked or that no effort was put into them, far from it. However they shut out the older kids and adults who, like me, went over to Sega.



Now the N64 won me back with its smooth, mind blowing (at the time) 3D. That and Rare made Goldeneye. Then they made Perfect Dark. Then they flat out gave Nintendo's censorship policies the middle finger and made Conker's Bad Fur Day... But by then I owned a Playstation which became the best console for adults and older kids, followed by the PS2 which was a huge success!



Nintendo launched the Game Cube which, well, wasn't as successful. The purple color, weird disc format and lack of "hard" games left it trailing behind the PS2 and Xbox



Slight resurrection with the Wii because of its innovative motion controls, but after a few years people got sick of that crap, and sick of breaking their TV's by accidentally throwing the Wii-mote.



So today Nintendo still makes good games and consoles, but outside of little kids and adults with nostalgia filters, nobody cares. Games nowadays, enemies aren't "defeated", they're straight up killed, often in bloody ways. They're written for adults, as they should be.


The Genesis model 1 sound reproduction with a Yamaha 2612? Soundchip and the later versions of the model 2 that fixed the bad audio amplification provide superior sound to the VA7 model 1 and early model 2's. The sonic games had great soundtracks, as did the bomberman game, and many many others I am too lazy to list.

I prefer the Genesis sound to the Super Nintendo's. If a system had combined the Genesis's processor and audio with the Super Nintendo's controllers, video capability, and arguably greater game library, you would have had the ultimate 16 bit machine.
__________________
Game Room TV's:

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-23-2016, 02:07 PM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAZenith View Post
If a system had combined the Genesis's processor and audio with the Super Nintendo's controllers, video capability, and arguably greater game library, you would have had the ultimate 16 bit machine.
Technically it's been done:




A point in the SNES' favor that I forgot to mention: When they designed it, they included extra cartridge data lines knowing they would use them at some point. Later on they did exactly that with the Super FX chip which made up for the slower CPU whereas Sega, well they got kinda weird with their hardware...

The Sega CD was a good idea, perhaps a bit ahead of its time and the technology wasn't fully there yet, but given another year of development or a new version with better technical specs and backwards compatibility with early Sega CD titles, they could have really had something...

Then they came out with the 32X... then the Saturn very shortly after that which sabotaged 32X sales. Then it turned out the Saturn was a multi CPU beast that was hard to develop games on and well, that eventually killed Sega as a console maker.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.