Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

who here has used greyhound to ship a tv before , what kind of a job do they do , how long does it take , is there a tracking number ,how do they contact you when it arrives at greyhound , my closest greyhound bus term. is at the airport .thanks if anyone has used them before .
Old 02-16-2016, 11:49 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
who here has used greyhound to ship a tv before , what kind of a job do they do , how long does it take , is there a tracking number ,how do they contact you when it arrives at greyhound , my closest greyhound bus term. is at the airport .thanks if anyone has used them before .
I have used them many times and have never had any damage. You have to drop off at a Greyhound terminal, and it has to be picked up at a Greyhound terminal near the destination. They will call you when it arrives and you drive to the bus depot to accept the cargo. Must be shipped prepaid at the time you drop the cargo off at the bus depot. Yes they have tracking but it is not automated. The Greyhound terminal operators have to enter the tracking numbers manually into the system when the cargo transfers from one bus to the next and often that part is not done. The cargo is handled personally by bus drivers and bus depot employees, nothing is automated, no conveyors etc.

Do a good job packing. There are size and weight restrictions that can be found on the Greyhound package express web site. I heard someone on this forum had their shipment refused because he told them it was a tv set or electronics or something along that line. I use Greyhound to ship picture tubes and never had the Milwaukee terminal refuse to take my cargo. I guess some employees interpret the rules differently. Pricing is very competitive, because Greyhound is not regulated by the government rules that govern trucking. Your cargo is considered as "luggage" from what I have been told. Your cargo will ride on an Air Ride Greyhound bus in the luggage compartment where the suitcases are stowed. Greyhound buses ride very smoothly, not like the rough ride in the back of a semi trailer.

Time from point A to point B is largely dependent on the responsiveness of the bus depot workers. Sometimes when the cargo transfers from one bus to the next it will sit in the bus depot a day or more before the bus terminal dock workers load it onto the next leg of the trip. If the shipment is placed on a bus that goes directly from A to B, then it will only take as long as it would if you were a passenger on the bus. Once I had a picture tube sit in a bus depot for several days. I called the Milwaukee terminal and one of the personnel tracked the shipment to the Chicago terminal where it was just sitting waiting for someone to put it on the next leg of the trip. It happens, but even so, the cargo got to it's destination and in good condition without damage. I only had that happen once. Otherwise I have had nothing but good service from Greyhound.

Good Luck!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 02-17-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Place here told me they won't ship TV sets because of the glass breakage risk. Next person wanna take a whack at it? I'm not taking this to Maryland, someone come get this thing before it ends up in a worse place...
Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Like I said...bring it to the ETF_-I will give you 50 then..if you are coming...
Old 02-17-2016, 07:29 PM

Don't know, but someone I know might be.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Don't know, but someone I know might be.
If you want to see a tv you thought you NEVER would-except in pictures...you should try to come !!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

its probley some new transportation law , thats why they wanted it in the original box , they told miniman82, they are probley calling tv's hazardous waste now .
Old 02-29-2016, 12:19 PM

RCA2000 is going to pick up a tube for me that I won on ebay in exchange for the Sears set, thank you all for showing interest.