Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

WTB: My first CTC Roundie Color set.

Lots of hours reading on here, and hours on YouTube, I'm ready; I want to step in a little deeper in to television collecting and I want to get a vintage round tube color set.

It doesn't need to be perfect by any means, I can do a lot of restoration work my self (Caps, alignments, general clean up, I can do all that). I'd prefer it to be somewhat alive though, and have a good picture tube for sure. Doesn't have to be 100%, but I don't want a tube that will be dim, blooming, or super blurry. obviously I want to be able to watch it once it's fixed up!

Brand doesn't make or break one of these sets for me. I just want to get my hands on a color roundie set and have a project for my self.

Looking for a reasonable price. I can also offer a part of my Portable Vintage Sony Trinitron collection for a better price.

I have doubles of most of my sets, that are all in very good working order. KV4100, KV5000, KV5100, KV5200 and KV5300. I have nice working doubles of all these sets I can offer up for a better price on a roundie. I'm offering all the models I listed as a complete set if interested.

I drive a small Ford Truck, so I can haul it home my self. I live in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin but for the right deal I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I looked at your post as I noticed that you had specified CTC and I was just curious. Now that I read what you desire, in my opinion I would say drop the CTC which represents a given RCA model. Lots of people love them, but I say get a Zenith. RCAs have early printed circuit boards and weak flybacks. Zeniths are all point to point wired with really good flyback transformers and many will work "as found" still with a little TLC. Many RCAs would as well, but I think that Zenith is the way to go hands down. Especially if it's your first and your electronics repair experience is limited. Any necessary repairs would be much easier for you I think and you would have a great performer. This should attract some attention. LOL
Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
I looked at your post as I noticed that you had specified CTC and I was just curious. Now that I read what you desire, in my opinion I would say drop the CTC which represents a given RCA model. Lots of people love them, but I say get a Zenith. RCAs have early printed circuit boards and weak flybacks. Zeniths are all point to point wired with really good flyback transformers and many will work "as found" still with a little TLC. Many RCAs would as well, but I think that Zenith is the way to go hands down. Especially if it's your first and your electronics repair experience is limited. Any necessary repairs would be much easier for you I think and you would have a great performer. This should attract some attention. LOL
Zeniths have their Achilles heel too, with convergence clover leafs that dry out, convergence coils (the little snap in ones on a nylon bobbin) that go bad, and of course, bad caps.

The plethora of round tube sets in other areas (chicagoland) makes me jealous. Here in SE VA, pickings are SLIM.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Packard bell makes a nice roundie as well.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

The roundy RCA set, I really want, is one with the CTC16X chassis. They always seemed to work, just a little better, than the earlier models. It was the first model with the Hi-Lite CRT.
Audiokarma
Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

To be honest I'm open to any color roundie set. I love the style of the era, and I've yet to see one I found unappealing.

As for restorations; I've done black and white sets before from the ground up. I've never done a full restoration to a color before. however, I have learned convergence and alignments on solid state color sets with my little Sony collection.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a color roundie that needs work. I'm perfectly fine fixing it up my self.

I want to be able to work on it, get to know it inside and out, and be able to turn it on, sit down in front of it and enjoy classic TV and the old cartoons I watched as a kid.

I plan to restore it for use in my families hobby room. All they have there is a lousy modern color pics of junk. This room would be perfect for a working color roundie for everyone to enjoy
Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 PM
M is for Memory

If no one else jumps in, I'd consider letting go of one of mine if the price is right (not sure which I'd want to sell though).

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If no one else jumps in, I'd consider letting go of one of mine if the price is right (not sure which I'd want to sell though).
Hmm. You're close by and we've met. If you decide you want to sell one let me know. You saw my truck lol. And I'm not picky. Brand or type is not much concern.

Mind you I am going to sell a portion of my Trinitron collection to pave the way for more vintage sets. I don't need duplicates of all the sets I own.

Last edited by Arcanine; 08-27-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post

The plethora of round tube sets in other areas (chicagoland) makes me jealous. Here in SE VA, pickings are SLIM.
Hey, I'm out here in S. Central VA! Small world. I'm glad to know that there is another person into vintage electronics that's not STATES away. As far as the old color TV population goes in my area, well; there were probably less people anywhere around my area that had the money to buy a 21" color TV. As time goes on those who did buy them got rid of them years ago and many are dead.

I remember them best as second hand sets that (by that time) were being bought up by folks working in the cotton mills and furniture industries (industry also dead) who couldn't afford the 25" + remote control sets that were new then. As solid state sets became the norm and repair shops didn't much want to work on older tube sets, you had more landfill potential. In the late 80s and into the 90s when repair shops were trying to reinvent themselves to stay afloat, they were hauling anything with tubes to the dump by the truckload. Mostly sets left by customers who just opted not to pay or pick up.

About the only finds I know of in my area are on cleanups of old storage buildings, hotel renovations or demolition, or sometimes abandoned homes. The last one I saw was in a house with the floors caving in. There was an RCA combo still in place in the living room. Too big to try and grab and not long after the place was flattened. So these days I guess they are going to be concentrated in areas like Chicago. Large cities have so many places where things are shut up under lock and key for decades and finally they turn up. Here (near Martinsville) if you lined them up for free down a road, people would come in the night and knock the gun off of the CRT to get the yoke in hope of turning it into money for a bill or maybe lunch at McDonald's.....
Old 08-31-2015, 07:53 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

I'm in Norfolk and I know 3 other guys in the state, it's not like we're alone out here. :p
Old 08-31-2015, 11:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm still looking. Have a possible prospect locally, but still kind of in talk at the moment.

Electronic M, your inbox is full, empty it so I can reply! you mentioned a Philco to me. I go kinda gaga for philco stuff.