Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Color sets are not that much harder than B/W. Most of the additional adjustments can be made without anything more than a test pattern DVD containing color bars, red screen, and white grid on black background.
Hey Tom, thanks for the encouragement. Where can you get one of the test pattern DVDs? I know I can do this given the right equipment or tools. I miss the days when "roundie" color sets were more or less give away sets (the 80s). I would keep one going with my then single year of electronics training in high school and a few good "how to" books that were still in the library then. If I couldn't handle the problem I would toss the set and find another. Now I have an electronics degree and feel like I know less than I did then about these sets! They were in our lab in high school, but tube type television was hardly mentioned by the time I got to college. Really not much TV training at all since it all became throw away and the schools are career focused.

The bad part about that (career focus) is that they can give you training and a piece of paper and you may not have a clue about ELECTRONics as the term is used so loosely these days. I see commercials on TV advertising careers in electronics and next thing you know you see a kid working on some computer or related network equipment. You end up with young techs like I see where I work that can hardly put a digital VOM to work and know what they are doing beyond AC or DC volts. Makes me want to hide the Fluke 5 and leave an analog Simpson in its place. Of course nothing would get done.....
Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Still Looking For A Home.

Much of the stuff pictured earlier in the thread is still here. The Zenith Space Command had to be parted out. So sad nobody took it, but I saved the main and remote chassis and HI FI speakers. The old Motorola and RCA TVs would be really nice pieces in the right hands. Too bad it's such a hassle shipping TVs, but maybe someone will come by this area in the future and grab them. I will ship the radios to anyone interested.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Not sure how I got here.

What was that Sears Medalist you mentioned, do you have a pic....?
Even if you don't have it anymore....

Old 11-27-2014, 03:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Out of everything that I have someone actually came here and picked up the plastic! LOL! I don't know how to answer what it was except to say that it was a 19" instaview type probably from about 1970 or so. I liked the set OK, but this thread is named "must part" so it's part to someone or part out to junk which is really a shame because I don't keep anything raggedy that warrants going to the junk pile like I see these days in antique malls.

I just visited a nice one the other day and was really surprised at the junky electronics with healthy price tags and here I am parting nice stuff in some cases. Obviously the stuff I have isn't highly collectable, but they just don't make the stuff anymore and haven't for years. So to find electronics in truly decent shape is getting a bit harder than it once was. Hopefully or eventually I will find good homes for much of the stuff that I have. Really, I just need one interested party with a van and a few bucks.

I used to know such a man named Tom from Richmond, VA. He would bring his van and haul off a load for me. Last I heard from him he was opening a radio and TV museum, but I don't know if it ever happened. I'm often surprised that he has never surfaced here at VK. I don't drag home the amount of stuff I did then (back in the 90s), so I don't have van loads anymore. Maybe one large one. The stuff just isn't out there like it was.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just picked up this thread today. I have a 1950 Motorola 12T2 sitting next to me. It's my family's first TV, and it needs a yoke and a focus coil. I know it's a shot in the dark, but Motorola part numbers are:
Deflection Yoke 24K792756
Focus Coil 24B792581
Let me know if you have either--by PM or whatever. Thanks.
Audiokarma
Old 12-02-2014, 03:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky Dink View Post
I just picked up this thread today. I have a 1950 Motorola 12T2 sitting next to me. It's my family's first TV, and it needs a yoke and a focus coil. I know it's a shot in the dark, but Motorola part numbers are:
Deflection Yoke 24K792756
Focus Coil 24B792581
Let me know if you have either--by PM or whatever. Thanks.
If anyone has Thordarson or Merit cross references for his yoke #, will you please post it. I still have a whole box of Yokes and Flys. I don't have any focus coils.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
What was that Sears Medalist you mentioned, do you have a pic....?
Even if you don't have it anymore....

I thought that I replied to this, but it looks like I didn't. Sorry! I don't have it anymore. I couldn't believe that out of all I do have that the plastic is what someone came and got, and seemed to love! Times change I guess. To me it was a run of the mill 19" hybrid with instaview. It played decently and I used it as a regular watcher for several years.

Woman comes in,,, TVs go out....

I'll see if I can find a pic...
Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Thanks.... You did...We had two when I was a kid.... Never seen others since....
Ours I found on the Sears Catalogs online it was a '65. I assumed no one kept them
once they needed repairs since they were $150. sets.... My dad's plan was not to keep
sets anymore they had a few dead floor model tv's in the basement and said - No More of that....
Something that is on my list to get one if it's possible without too much pain...

Old 12-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
If anyone has Thordarson or Merit cross references for his yoke #, will you please post it. I still have a whole box of Yokes and Flys. I don't have any focus coils.
Thordarson Y-18
Old 12-02-2014, 01:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola 24K792756
Merit MD-3 (according to Sams)
Audiokarma
Old 12-02-2014, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

My 1965-66 Merit reference shows that Motorola 24K792756 crosses to MDF-75.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Sams reference is from 1950, and it includes a note for the MD-3 to "add resistors across..." Likely the newer referenced yoke doesn't need to be altered?
I haven't looked for this part for several years. "Tube Supply A-Z" in Orlando shows a Thordarson Y-18 NOS available." I'll wait to see if Tubejunke has something he wants to part with.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky Dink View Post
I'll wait to see if Tubejunke has something he wants to part with.
Thanks for waiting, but my inventory doesn't list a Y-18; sorry. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
Hi folks, I have so many interested parties that I am going to attempt to get enough pictures on this site to give you all an idea of what I have. For those interested in the Zenith 5111 color set it can be seen in another thread by me titled Zenith 5111 Comes To Life. I hope this works.

Hi Tubejunke, I am interested in two of the TVs you have listed on this post. I don't know the models because I am fairly new to vintage TVs, but the images were labeled as SANY0033 and SANY0034. Do you have any other pictures of these sets?
Old 12-05-2014, 05:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

The set pictured in 034 was a mid 50s Magnavox. Needed the room; made this thread; found no takers. I didn't have the heart to scrap that one, so I took it to a local thrift shop and they told me they sold it that day. In 033 there are two sets stacked in my kitchen. On the bottom was the later 50s Zenith Space Command 24" (remote controlled). The set had a larger than average for the period (21") screen and early remote, with a chassis you could eat off of. Needed the room; made this thread; found no takers. I parted that one out. I still have the parts and one day someone will hopefully need some really nice vintage remote control or main chassis stuff.

NOW on top of that set is a 1948 RCA 8T-243 with a good 10BP4 C.R.T. That one is still with me. Frankly I can't believe someone hasn't come and grabbed that one, but oh well. Maybe ugly 40s sets aren't the cats meow anymore! LOL! I have always thought that 50s sets didn't get their just recognition within the "collectable" population of this hobby which unfortunately dictates the desirable factor. That's changing though as the age groups collecting that stuff fade out and their collections at least hopefully go to younger collectors and museums.

Don't get me wrong; the 40s stuff is what I consider interesting in many cases, especially DuMont products. However, it's very heavy and often overdone with extra circuits and whatnot that often were not found in many 50s sets (especially later 50s). 50s sets are also quite practical for regular viewing. OK, I'm on a tangent. Anyway, I still have the RCA, but you would have to pick it up. I don't ship TVs which is probably one reason I find it hard to get rid of them when I need to.

Also, the picture on the far left is a decent Motorola from the early 50s. I still have that one as well. Someone gave me $300 sight unseen for a Bakelite version of that set! The stuff certainly has value, but like anything you need the right person in the right place, with the right desire to buy..... Let me know if I can help you further. Thanks