Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrocomp View Post
I am talking about these ones. There were lots of these. But mine is tabletop with 4 feet.

http://alisonnissen.files.wordpress....v-attached.jpg

These cost a quarter at a time. Mine is 10 cents
Those are chair mounted.

Even the title of the picture indicates that. chair-with-tv-attached.jpg

A separate coin-op tabletop set still makes no sense to me as to where it would make sense to use one.

Last edited by WISCOJIM; 07-03-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember the chair ones in greyhound stations as late as 1999. I tried it out just for the novelty aspect. Thank goodness I have a car, I sure don't miss taking a greyhound bus.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
A separate coin-op tabletop set still makes no sense to me as to where it would make sense to use one.

Cheap hotels had coin operated tabletop TVs for awhile then later they just charged for the remote and had no knobs on the TV.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interestingly, it seems Sony had some predominant involvement in this market. Airports I went to as a kid, which would have been in the '90s, probably San Antonio international most likely, still had the seat attached versions even at that time and they were Sony Trinitrons.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is not 25 cents for half an hour in color as I remember. So we have a time difference here. It takes a dime for 10 minutes in black and white. This may be before your time / Airport/ greyhound/ granny's cottage. It may have been in a Bar setting on the counter or just too unique to put a place on. But it is still the first pay per view black and white television I personally have ever seen.
Audiokarma
Old 07-05-2014, 05:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrocomp View Post
This is not 25 cents for half an hour in color as I remember. So we have a time difference here. It takes a dime for 10 minutes in black and white. This may be before your time / Airport/ greyhound/ granny's cottage. It may have been in a Bar setting on the counter or just too unique to put a place on. But it is still the first pay per view black and white television I personally have ever seen.
Yes, I think we get it and no one is arguing with you, you may well have the first black and white PPV set, and certainly a rare table-top PPV set. I think some of the other members and myself are merely remembering other later iterations of a similar concept. No need to get defensive.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

"No need to get defensive." Point well taken. I also remember sitting in the bus terminal putting 25 cents in for 15 minutes of viewing the color screen. And then putting in more quarters to see the end of the show in the late 70s. It was cutting edge and a great novelty for the time. I wonder where those chairs are today? Haven't seen any since.