Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, let's give the shop owner some credit- I can't imagine having to sell an entire business for a lousy $500. I'm sure the owner already suffered a bit mentally to get the price that low. What was the original price on that scope? I paid $30 for the same model in pristine condition with all the paperwork 5 years ago. No one can be prepared for that kind of depreciation.

To the seller I'd say take whatever offer you get. Just getting one legit offer will be tough. And then let the buyer move that hernia making heap out of there. Just getting that shop cleaned out without lifting a finger would be worth $500 to me. Never forget how intense the labor will be to get that all cleaned out. If you can eliminate most of that work, you're way ahead of the game.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadlike View Post
Well, let's give the shop owner some credit- I can't imagine having to sell an entire business for a lousy $500. I'm sure the owner already suffered a bit mentally to get the price that low. What was the original price on that scope? I paid $30 for the same model in pristine condition with all the paperwork 5 years ago. No one can be prepared for that kind of depreciation.

To the seller I'd say take whatever offer you get. Just getting one legit offer will be tough. And then let the buyer move that hernia making heap out of there. Just getting that shop cleaned out without lifting a finger would be worth $500 to me. Never forget how intense the labor will be to get that all cleaned out. If you can eliminate most of that work, you're way ahead of the game.
one small detail you missed ;

This being , that the shop owner is dead , and so is not in the least "suffering a bit mentally to get the price that low" .... This is the shop owner's heirs selling the remains of his business and as has been previously mentioned the most valuable asset of his business , his KNOWLEDGE , has sadly passed with him .

Were this top grade equipment in very good condition things may be different , but it ain't , and so I do agree with the "take whatever offer you can get" part . Even if it's giving it to someone without a lot of money who has an interest in old electronics , this would be preferable to having to spend the time and $ to haul it off to the dump .....
Old 04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm in contact with his son and will probably go look at the stuff on Saturday since it's right around the corner from me. I'm trying to convince him to bring it to Kutztown for the radio meet this May 9th and 10th or letting the club auction it for him as it would be a crime to send it all to the curb. It may not be big buck stuff, but the man made a living with it all his life and surely someone can get some more use out of it. Strange twist... his sister is married to my cousin... small world!!!

Jim
Old 05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Motorola Minion

Ditto on Bryan's assessment. Kutztown is 20 min from Allentown, Tools, irons and test equipment is usually a sure bet there. Do not bother bringing any components at all, even tubes.

Two years ago, I gave $225 for a load of stuff Tim delivered from Buffalo, sight unseen. There was some good test gear, like this lot.
But the factory books for Admiral, Zenith and Wallace Telaides for just about every brand of TV made from 1946-53 was worth that alone.
I spent some time on the phone with the son of the deceased repairman, and he was not an electronics guy at all.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-05-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi all!
Just to let you fine folks know, I picked up several boxes of the test equipment and it will be a Kutztown this week. I tried to sweet talk him into getting a space at Kutztown, but he is having some severe problems with the joints in his neck and requires surgery. Our club, DVHRC, will clean out the remaining stuff and it will be auctioned in September. There are two isotaps and three smoldering iron stations and a nice 15mhz scope among the goodies. (He likes Leader equipment) Bear in mind this gent was "The TV man's TV man" and fixed lots of tough dogs with this equipment and made a nice living at it... nope, not top shelf equipment, but it sure did it's job for him!!! Stop by space 441 and help the guy out!!! I'll also have some parts communication sets from my best friend's estate.

Jim
Audiokarma