Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2013, 04:45 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Wonder what a "Mil-Spec" roundy color set be like ?!?
I would expect them to be quite beefy compared to typical consumer set tubes. Out here on the ship, we still have a few CRT's in service. There's one up on the bridge... it runs 24/7 for the past ten years... never gets turned off. At night, the brightness is turned down enough to just barely see the screen in the dark. It's got some burn-in on the screen. The CRT's and flat panels used here are rated for marine applications... and must be albe to deal with the vibrations of the vessel and the pounding the vessel experiences in rough weather.

Last year, they replaced the radars. The new monitors installed are 25" flat panels. The captain was telling me about the price tag on those displays... 8 grand a piece! Damn... for a 25" screen! I suspect it has to do with being built sturdier and able to withstand the environment of a ship.

The TV sets in our rooms are typical 30-40 inch Samsungs. They start looking questionable after just a couple of years. The PC's we use have cheapie monitors... they don't last long, either.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.