Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Followin' the Rules...

So what is the rule for commercial entities wishing to advertise in the classifieds? One is in, but no rules posted?

It appears to be different from AK - not trying to kick the hornets nest, but I asked about this when VK started up and was told no commercial entities in the classifieds (by Grumpy, nonetheless). Now we have one.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

If we're allowed to share opinions about this , here's mine ;

I like the idea of Technicolor and others advertising their products here , and I can't see where this could be any kind of problem . There should , however , be a way to differentiate between private and commercial sellers so that folks don't have to click on each and every ad to see which is which . Could perhaps a "commercial retailers subforum" be created right underneath the present classifieds section ? Failing that , maybe a different colored font for private vs commercial sales ? (blue text = private and red text = commercial , or something similar)

The more resources the better when looking for old radio/tv parts and if I need a capacitor that Technicolor or anyone else has , it matters not whether the seller is private , commercial , or a little green man from mars , as long as I get the needed cap (or anything else) to fix the radio !

As long as the ads were kept strictly to the topic of the board , old video and audio stuff , how exactly could access to a greater resource of components be a bad thing for VK ????
Old 08-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
If we're allowed to share opinions about this , here's mine ;

I like the idea of Technicolor and others advertising their products here , and I can't see where this could be any kind of problem . There should , however , be a way to differentiate between private and commercial sellers so that folks don't have to click on each and every ad to see which is which . Could perhaps a "commercial retailers subforum" be created right underneath the present classifieds section ? Failing that , maybe a different colored font for private vs commercial sales ? (blue text = private and red text = commercial , or something similar)

The more resources the better when looking for old radio/tv parts and if I need a capacitor that Technicolor or anyone else has , it matters not whether the seller is private , commercial , or a little green man from mars , as long as I get the needed cap (or anything else) to fix the radio !

As long as the ads were kept strictly to the topic of the board , old video and audio stuff , how exactly could access to a greater resource of components be a bad thing for VK ????
I have only one problem - I've been on the AK/VK boards for over 5 years, and I proposed a similar operation in 2010, when the boards split. I was shot down. Now, here comes someone that has 5 months on the board, and it gets the blessing. I had tons (1300 SqFt) of stuff that I would have offered, off-site, not just capacitors from China. No profit - just a list of stuff available (off-site, to keep the chaff/PMs to a minimum). Many here benefited from the initial offers - Compucat, RadioTVnut, DRH4683, Dave Morris, and bunch more.

The real problem is the lack of a stated policy - it seems to be a conditional one, the conditions I'm not privy to.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:48 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
I have only one problem - I've been on the AK/VK boards for over 5 years, and I proposed a similar operation in 2010, when the boards split. I was shot down. Now, here comes someone that has 5 months on the board, and it gets the blessing. I had tons (1300 SqFt) of stuff that I would have offered, off-site, not just capacitors from China. No profit - just a list of stuff available (off-site, to keep the chaff/PMs to a minimum). Many here benefited from the initial offers - Compucat, RadioTVnut, DRH4683, Dave Morris, and bunch more.

The real problem is the lack of a stated policy - it seems to be a conditional one, the conditions I'm not privy to.
Tim or Eric, delete the thread and any references to the store, wasn't aware it was going to cause this much friction. I appreciate the blessing to post the link but at this point with so much animosity, really no point in advertising it here.

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post

I agree.
Audiokarma
Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
Tim or Eric, delete the thread and any references to the store, wasn't aware it was going to cause this much friction. I appreciate the blessing to post the link but at this point with so much animosity, really no point in advertising it here.

Thanks again.
First, I don't see the "animosity" you speak of.

Secondly, I questioned it because in almost all hobby forums commercial advertisers have to pay for their ads. They only post to make money, and a portion of that should go to support the site. It's not at all like the ads where many people each have a few extra items laying around that they offer for sale. You would be buying these capacitors in bulk to retail for profit.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
First, I don't see the "animosity" you speak of.

Secondly, I questioned it because in almost all hobby forums commercial advertisers have to pay for their ads. They only post to make money, and a portion of that should go to support the site. It's not at all like the ads where many people each have a few extra items laying around that they offer for sale. You would be buying these capacitors in bulk to retail for profit.

I wasn't referring to you as far animosity. But u do oppose it.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM
sampson159

joes business could benefit us all.i am not opposed to this or anyone else to do the same.i lve been around awhile too.this could open many doors to us and i applaud a good american starting a business.i would rather spend my money here than overseas.same for findm keepm.let the ads run lets all go shopping.patronize these good americans!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Well I think its cool that ol'satellite boy posted his sh*t, Captain Picard once posted to me in public here that he works at one of those online car parts stores to get me on board for Honda parts I may need..... Personally, I don't see anything wrong with individuals who care to identifying themselves and their business.... You can sure bet that if I were looking for something, whatever it is, I would consider buying from someone here, that I at least know a little more than someone I don't know at all....

I don't see what all the fuss is.... Sure there should be a written policy.... I assume once in a while thoughts change and a feeling shifts, becomes an unpublished policy, or an experiment....

In some cases you know.... ebay is kinda like a good fence... It keeps good people honest..... Maybe for used parts ebay is best..... For a business like satellite dishes, hey there is a pay per click ad server here.... And a note saying "that's my ad" in the classifieds is ok with me.... Good disclosure....

We could all just keep our business off here..... Hey we have seen a few postings about misread ebay shipping prices turning into such hot talk that the thread gets shut down.... What about a possible business deal gone bad....

I have a business where I run some stuff for some of the most gripy people I have seen, and out of the 200 people there, only 2 know what I do and they always have complaints... And I don't get paid for it, so they are complaining about something they get for free.... I keep my identity, and advertisements away from that crowd.... I don't want to get involved with them....

Kinda like the old bit of advice "don't work for your friends and neighbors"

Enough of this crap....... Get back to your TV Sets !

Dammit !

: )
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Administrator

There's nothing "conditional" here, this is how it came about.

Technicolor (Joe) came to me with this idea, and asked me permission. The arrangement is that if within a couple months he actually gets enough orders to make a go of his business, that he would end up being a vendor sponsor.

As you can see, we have no commercial sponsors at this point. I think that we're all gentlemen here, and if someone wants to have a go at trying their hand selling parts or whatever, and they're an actual member trying to make a startup in something, just ask me.

This is, after all, how AudioKarma got its first sponsor....Venus Hi-Fi....and a long-term partnership (and friendship) was forged.

If anyone else is interested in the same arrangement, I have no problems with it. Just drop me a PM.