Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wanted: TV Alignment Sweep/Marker Generator

Since I'd at least like a shot at restoring the proper alignment to my Zenith tabletop set (I know I'll have to find some new chokes as well), I'm now on the lookout for a Sweep/Marker Generator for TV alignment. I have an oscilloscope I can use with it already. I can't afford to spend very much unfortunately, or I'd be trying to get one off eBay. The most I can do right now would be $40, and that would have to include shipping.

Also, if anyone has a spare set of alignment tools (specifically looking for something with a plastic hexagon choke core adjuster) that you just want to get rid of, let me know (I already know a few places where they seem to be available inexpensively online, though).
Old 08-04-2013, 09:11 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

I have the correct stuff on hand, maybe you could ship it my way less CRT? I haven't done an alignment in a while, but if I can figure out a CT-100 and its 6 stages something tells my a B&W set is a breeze.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'd rather learn how to do it for myself (and I'm nervous about trying to ship a TV chassis). Besides, a couple of the chokes in the IF section have broken cores, and you might have to track down replacements if I just sent the set to you.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm guessing people don't want to let go of their equipment that cheaply, haha.

If I try persistently, I might be able to get an 'untested' unit off eBay, which may or may not work properly, but I'm kind of trying to avoid that.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

You can always wait till next ETF, there's always this sort of thing for sale there.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

I doubt if I'll ever make it to an ETF convention, haha. I'm a college student with no job at the moment, hence the low initial offer. The gas for a trip to Ohio would be even more difficult to manage.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

if there was someone around me with thr equipment and knowledge i have one set i'd like aligned properly

mike
Old 08-10-2013, 03:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just got what I was looking for on eBay today. Had to pay $43 total, but that's not too far off what I was looking for. Obviously an 'untested' model, but it's solid state so there's probably a better chance that it's still working well as opposed to older 'untested' models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111138087631

I checked against my Photofact to make sure it had all the markers I need (and it does) and to make sure the center IF sweep frequency is what I need (I need 44MHz, 10MHz width, and it looks like this is supposed to sweep 38MHz to 49MHz, so I think I'm good there).

Also, this thing uses BNC connectors rather than those weird screw on connectors I see on most older stuff, so it'll be easier for me to find good leads I can connect to it.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Be aware that the IG-57 does not have an adjustable RF output. It originally came with a step attenuator unit that was used to reduce the strength of the signal being injected into the TV. You could buy or make a step attenuator, or cobble together an attenuator from a potentiometer in a pinch (what I did with mine since it is also missing the attenuator).
Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
Be aware that the IG-57 does not have an adjustable RF output. It originally came with a step attenuator unit that was used to reduce the strength of the signal being injected into the TV. You could buy or make a step attenuator, or cobble together an attenuator from a potentiometer in a pinch (what I did with mine since it is also missing the attenuator).
I'll worry about that if I discover I have to do an RF alignment later. Right now all I want to do is an IF alignment.

EDIT: Nevermind, I re-read that and I think I misunderstood you. But yeah, I'll keep that in mind.

EDIT 2: Yeah, definitely misunderstood. It's going to output some frequency regardless of if it's RF, IF, whatever, and you're essentially saying I can't control the peak-to-peak voltage with this. Since my TV is looking for a sweep with a 3V peak-to-peak signal, hooking up a potentiometer on the line to control the output level would be useful.

Last edited by jmetal88; 08-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Audiokarma