Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM
go big or go home

late sixties rca combo, reading pa area $200

she's firm at $200, not what i would want to pay, but maybe somebody would be interested

http://reading.craigslist.org/atq/3884443251.html

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
sampson159

2 bills is a little steep but i like it!wont be getting it but i like it
Old 06-28-2013, 11:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-40, I think? Great sets, solid state.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice looker, but yes.. $200.00 IS steep, ever if it was working 100%
I'm gonna say older.... CTC-28. ( It looks like it has the big control door that's hinged and opens from the left) which is a dead give-away, as that lay-out was only on that chassis.... However if it tilts out, than Bryan is correct as it would be a CTC-38/39 OR 40If it IS a 40, you should ponder Joe, they were really good sets.. Oh.. and if it IS a 38 or 39.. RUN/PASS. In my opinion, the worst chassis RCA ever put out....
Old 06-29-2013, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, definitely a CTC-28 with that big die cast control door and the "offset" control panel. Looks like a nice clean cataract free CRT with the correct dark grey lens. It may be the original, or perhaps an RCA Colorama replacement from the early 70's.

I love finding these old sets when they are in their original environment. That salt and pepper shag carpeting should really stay with the set
Audiokarma
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
Nice looker, but yes.. $200.00 IS steep, ever if it was working 100%
I'm gonna say older.... CTC-28. ( It looks like it has the big control door that's hinged and opens from the left) which is a dead give-away, as that lay-out was only on that chassis.... However if it tilts out, than Bryan is correct as it would be a CTC-38/39 OR 40If it IS a 40, you should ponder Joe, they were really good sets.. Oh.. and if it IS a 38 or 39.. RUN/PASS. In my opinion, the worst chassis RCA ever put out....

u forgot, i bagged this for $40 back in the spring, a ctc40. I also got that gorgeous maggie combo in boston for $50. Granted my employees necked the crt on me, but i got that new vista color cpmbo on ebay for $20 and then of course Sampson159 generously giving me another new vsita color combo for free. Plus the rca roundie combo i just got from rhode island.

Call me crazy, but i think the warm weather makes the cl sellers crazy. I am not seeing the deals i was getting just a few months ago. My gut tells me this winter, better deals will be found.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Technicolor.....THAT is a beautiful set in that last post. Love the cabinet. The X pattern trim in front of the speakers seems pretty unusual to me. Love it!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_volt View Post
Technicolor.....THAT is a beautiful set in that last post. Love the cabinet. The X pattern trim in front of the speakers seems pretty unusual to me. Love it!
hey thanks for the compliment, it is one of my favorites. The amp really kicks some butt, this thing is loud!!!!

here's a video

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UhF_95F_nPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhF_95F_nPY

Last edited by technicolor; 06-29-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
Yeah, definitely a CTC-28 with that big die cast control door and the "offset" control panel. Looks like a nice clean cataract free CRT with the correct dark grey lens. It may be the original, or perhaps an RCA Colorama replacement from the early 70's.

I love finding these old sets when they are in their original environment. That salt and pepper shag carpeting should really stay with the set
I bet the father is the original owner, and he's trying to get back as much of that original $1000 that he paid for that set.

Your right, i have seen that decor many times before. The one house i went to in boston, was like stepping into 1950.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Motorola Minion

I would guess that Combo on CL came from my former employer, still in business in Shillington. In the mid 80s, we often brought those into the shop and removed the chassis , CRT and escutheon, installing a Colortrak 2000 in its place, trimming it out. Many Maggies and RCAs were done that way because the older folks could not get a console stereo anymore. I had accumulated many chassis and CRTs at home becasue of this.

They probably used it often until nobody wanted to hang out in that knotty-pine-paneled basement anymore. Worse yet, getting that set up from a basement would be pure torture and may explain why it is still there, including the carpet under it.
Audiokarma
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Motorola Minion

I went in for a look. Turns out this guy owned a local Mobil station for years and is known for several 1969 Camaros featured in magazines like Car Craft and HotRod. This set is as NICE and cared for as his cars, 1968 model HJ-847S, CTC28B and had a replacement CRT as Doug says.

I offered $50 because that is all I can spare right now. He declined politely, then I offered to "tune it up" for the same price since there appeared to be some attachment.

BTW The shag rug is getting replaced, hence the thoughts of selling this combo. I may come back with a better offer if I can sell a 1969 Zenith HiFi and move a 1991 RCA 27" console to make space. There is an outside entry to the basement, but its a left turn and up some steps right outside

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-02-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I went in for a look. Turns out this guy owned a local Mobil station for years and is known for several 1969 Camaros featured in magazines like Car Craft and HotRod. This set is as NICE and cared for as his cars, 1968 model HJ-847S, CTC28B and had a replacement CRT as Doug says.

I offered $50 because that is all I can spare right now. He declined politely, then I offered to "tune it up" for the same price since there appeared to be some attachment.

BTW The shag rug is getting replaced, hence the thoughts of selling this combo. I may come back with a better offer if I can sell a 1969 Zenith HiFi and move a 1991 RCA 27" console to make space. There is an outside entry to the basement, but its a left turn and up some steps right outside
IMHO, $50 is more than fair. Hell will freeze over before he get's $200. It's not like it's a roundie.