Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

1954 Westinghouse H840CK15 Color Television

This is a 1954 Westinghouse H840CK15, serial # MW005064. It was the first color television set sold to the public, but most were unsold and disposed of due to the high price ($1,295--That's over $11,000 in today's dollars calculated for inflation) and the lack of color programming available at the time.

This television has been in my family since the 1960s or 1970s when my father purchased it at an estate sale. He is into electronics and kept it in working condition all these years. About seven years ago I used to watch DVDs and play video games on it every day. Now medical bills and lack of work is causing me to want to sell it.

The television still works, though one of the tongs on the plug recently broke off. I am still able to turn on the television by wedging it in place, however I would prefer to not risk damage to the set, so I will not turn it on anymore. I have a photograph taken today, at the time of listing, to show that it does in fact still work, and here is a link to the television playing a DVD (sorry for the awful video quality of my camera): http://youtu.be/9y0I9mVpMF4

The cabinet is scuffed, scratched, and in need of restoration. However, this television is very complete for its age, and the fact that the picture tube still works is incredible. Very few of these televisions still exist (this makes number 20 at the current time).

The television must be picked up in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. However, I would be very happy to assist with shipping in any way I can (even overseas). This means you figure out shipping, I help with loading, packing, etc. if needed. I could possibly deliver it in person, however the television would need to be insured by you, and you would need to pay for a UHaul/Penske truck, gas, and my time.

Thanks for looking, and I hope my family's television set can find a good home (and that I can finally pay off my medical bills and try to get on top of my finances again). My father has an original SAMS photofact file which is a complete schematic, parts list, setup and adjustment instruction manual for the Westinghouse H840CK15 that he will mail to me, and I will be happy to pass it on to the next owner.

The television is listed here on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290874641745
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954westinghouse.JPG (95.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1954westinghouse8.JPG (94.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1954westinghouse9.JPG (119.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 1954westinghouse10.JPG (94.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1954westinghouse13.JPG (106.4 KB, 17 views)