Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Looking to restore your vintage item?

Do you have a unique, antique, or vintage item that you'd like restored and feature on Major Network Reality Series? Are you a collector of antique or vintage memorabilia looking to restore an item of yours? Is your garage/boneyard packed with old appliances collecting dust because they no longer work. Do you find yourself wondering that if once restored, what you thought was junk could be super valuable?

If you have a unique, antique, or vintage item that you'd like restored or a boneyard full of antique treasures and would like to feature on our show please contact genguestcasting@gmail.com
Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Can't wait to see the business model for this.

Chip
Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

how about NO !
Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Flat panels shoehorned into vintage cabinets?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Does this show have a bad reputation? I don't have satellite or cable TV, so I have not seen it. Other shows I have seen (the motorcycle or car ones, maybe) seem to do good work; is this one different?

I know the pawn-shop one seems to be more about making money than true restoration work.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, they do seem to like taking on projects where they can 'update' the insides of a project. They turned an old gas pump into a change counter for this one guy to put in his bank once. I also recall them restoring a shoe-store foot x-ray machine where they removed the guts of the machine and replaced them with a light bulb and a static slide. That's understandable in safety terms, but from what I saw on the show, they didn't contact the owner before deciding to do that. I probably would have wanted the original insides in the machine, just perhaps functionally disabled. They've also installed refrigeration units in old ice-based coolers, and put modern dispensing mechanisms in old vending machines. They do a good job, if that's the kind of thing you want done, but I probably wouldn't trust them with an electronic restoration of any original equipment. They do very nice exterior work, though, and they can make almost anything look factory fresh by appearances.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was invited to restore a 50s vintage tv for a reality show. They wanted to bring the set to me and have me give them the value of the set before and after restoration. (they wanted huge numbers, huge numbers equal dramatic)
I said bring it to me, let me check the crt and fly and see if its worth going any further. They wanted a price, I quoted a price based on 2 days of labor to do a complete recap and parts.
They didnt want to do it.
The set ended up being turned into a trailer park scene by and artist and valued at something like $7k.
All I can say is reality tv is exaggerated to the MAX, Thats why its under drama.
Why do we let our television shows display and glorify the lowest common denominator in America? Are our egos really so low that we need to intake this garbage to get off?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

You must be talking about that worthless Hoffie Barry found in a storage locker. Couldn't have happened to a nicer set, IMO. That aside, some of the prices I see them supposedly getting for items are way out of line. At least on shipping wars, they didn't lie about the cost of shipping items or the hardships the people go through.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Why do we let our television shows display and glorify the lowest common denominator in America? Are our egos really so low that we need to intake this garbage to get off?
I think that "We" (on this forum) do not match these typical audiences. That is because "We" know how to READ, and study, and learn, and accomplish things. The majority of the general public, though, is very lazy when looking for entertainment. Advertisers PREFER that type of audience (since they are the easiest to manipulate with commercials), so TV shows that cater to low effort, low intellect, and "base instincts" will generally be more successful (or easier to make successful) than more-thoughtful ones.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

What would Snooki do?
Audiokarma
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I like this American Restoration show, but it's FAR too short. It's aggravating to just see the "piece" come in....a couple little CONTRIVED attempts at drama...and then suddenly the piece is DONE. I wish this show would cover a COUPLE pieces for several episodes, and actually SHOW the work being done....and the wild goose chase of locating parts.

So effectively, I want that show to be ALOT more what Chris says up there. Alot more "read, study and learn". I guess this sort of show would lose all the ADD viewers though if someone brought in a Predicta Princess (I'd REALLY love to even SEE one of those!). This sort of restoration involves alot more than some angle grinders and 800 grit wet and dry sandpaper, so it's WELL beyond the scope of what they do. I'd sit and watch SEVERAL episodes spanning like six hours.....and endure ALL the silly little Geico gheco or that "dreadfully creepy Nationwide guy" commercials to watch THAT sort of thing.

Last edited by AiboPet; 06-11-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM
M is for Memory

Why would I let some TV personality, who does not show 90% of what he is actually doing in a restoration, and is known to modify(bastardise in some cases IMHO) things he works on, within 10ft of one of my vintage TVs.

This forum is a gathering place of people who know or are learning a craft-Antique TV and electronic restoration. We are sticklers for originality and pride ourselves on not taking the easy way out on a difficult task. I would not let the jokers on American Restoration PAY ME to restore one of my sets as not only do I not have faith that they would do it the way I would do it (the right way), but I also would get robbed of the of the tremendous feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that I get when I struggle and overcome a tough to diagnose and fix electronic fault. I may farm out certain parts of my projects to others whom I feel confident will do what I want done when there is a task that I don't feel confident learning or is not worth it for me to learn.

Antique TV restoration is not really a profitable business model because most sets are not worth the restoration cost after the restoration and most all of the ones that are can not usually be obtained at a price that would not suck up(and then some) any profits that could come from the value added by a restoration. The only exceptions to there not being profit in TV restoration is those who restore sets for others, and those who have had a "holy grail" model in their family for decades, effectively have no money in the set before restoration, and either have a great desire to see it work or know it's value after restoration would be more then the restoration costs + the value before the restoration. The only people that might fall into the latter category are RCA 621, CT-100, and prewar model owners, and Philco Predicta owners.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Now he's spamming other categories...

PS- That's not American Restoration's email address either...

PermaBan time!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Yup....I see he's posted in the arcade, pinball area. Didn't even wanna bother replying to him in THERE. I ve seen that show do some SAD things to some great classic mechanicals. Is this not also the show that took a TV set from Storage Wars, and made some sort of funky yuppy diorama thing of it?

I may be mistaken on WHO actually did that....but they had taken some nice old set, and just TOSSED it to build some sort of "Trailer park" scene inside of it.

So SAD to think that this cabinet now has to play host to what is effectively a DOLL HOUSE for the rest of it's life, and WHO is gonna restore THAT when it gets old?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I would really like to "Lay Eyes & Hands on" some examples of the "Restorations" they do before I pass judgment...But if you're reading this "Restorations" guy, please know that restoring an old TV or radio is a LOT more complicated than most people think....Especially TVs. You need to know electronic theory, have good mechanical skills, & have a detective's intuition. You will likely as not have to take several stabs at things, old radios & TVs can be MADDENING at times. And lastly, & most important, you ALWAYS have to remember that you're dealing w/LETHAL voltages in Tube stuff...And it takes NO prisoners...