Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

had one of those 19" rca table sets with a weak but recently replaced crt.
green was gone and it arced in the neck.being a few month old rebuild i figured it was a leaker.tore it down to replace it.when i unbolted the mounts i heard a crunch.then a tink.
i stepped aside and BOOOOMM!!
nothing left in the case but the face,shadowmask,and band.
it made dents in the metal case.glass stuck in the ceiling and broke the bulbs in the shoplight above.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Motorola Minion

I scored a Philco 19" BW, 1961 vintage, found at curb. Nice shape and it had a nice raster and needed the usual paper cap replacement. As it sat on a stool operating with the back off, but I noticed the grounding spring arcing where it contacted the CRT aquadag, I left the room for just a minute and heard a boom. Lucky, but what a huge mess to clean up...
Old 03-10-2012, 04:31 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

My implosion experiences are in two categories, accidental and intentional.
I ‘ve only seen one accidental implosion. When I was about six or seven, one of my grandmother’s neighbors had a house fire. And, the portable TV on a rollaway stand came rolling out of the house and onto the sidewalk. (With the help of the firemen…) The TV was on fire! And, less than a minute after hitting the sidewalk, the CRT sort of “collapsed”. And, when it did, you could see flames inside the TV set!

Years later, when I was in high school, the electronics teacher was anxious to get rid of several years accumulation of old and obsolete CRT’s –no doubt very valuable today! In that era, growing up in countryside being turned into suburbs, there were numerous places where we took CRT’s after school. A favorite area was a nearby abandoned gravel quarry whwer we’d go after school. (Yes, there were guys who had rifles in the trunks of their cars in our school parking lot! But, this was a different time. We used the weapons on old cars, old CRT’s, etc. –not each other!) Many an old CRT met its fate face down in that quarry with its neck the target of a .22 LR bullet. We had one guy who had no fear at all of what a CRT could do. He sat an old CRT face down in a dumpster, slipped a pipe collar with a piece of wire on it and pulled really hard! The neck snapped at the bulb and all that happened was a slow escape of phosporus. Said rocket scientist then took an old CRT and placed it in the dumpster. The then threw another CRT at it! The resulting double implosion was quite spectacular!

While shooting the neck off an octal base tube at 50’ feet or so was fun, when my grandfather had the opportunity (with a set from one of my cousins), he “did the deed” with the miniature base of a more “modern” CRT. He wasn’t impressed with the “whooosh” it made. He just muttered, “they just don’t make ‘em like they used to!”
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

The scariest NON-implosion story I have is this: In 1980, my brother and I had bought a big inventory of tubes (not CRTs) from a surplus store that closed down in Chicago, and we were offering various early radio tubes for maybe $3 each in local ads. So, we made a few radio and TV collector friends. One time a couple of them came to our house for a few tubes, and they were driving an old Suburban (with no back seat installed), and the entire area behind the (front) seat was PILED with loose CRTs! I mean, not a layer face down but at least two, maybe three layers of them at all angles, mostly probably 21-inch B&W ones. I just shuddered to think of what would have happened if they had hit a bump on the road or had had to hit the brakes hard.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 PM
"Book em Dano!"

A friend of mine was telling me he knew someone years ago(probably 1960's) was walking through a TV store/shop and hit the neck of a CRT of a running set accidentally with a briefcase. Of course the CRT imploded and shot the neck through the front of the set hitting a set sitting across the isle. Must of made a heck of a noise/smoke/arcing! What a mess!
Audiokarma
Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Like Kojak said "I don't buy it". Sounds like an urban myth or whatever it's called. Breaking the TV's back cover, the neck, having what's left of the thin glass neck and guns shoot forward with enough remaining force to go through the front of the CRT then through the safety glass?? I don't think so.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I have to say it sounds improbable also, breaking the neck sure, but not the rest of it!

If he had a Briefcase he was probably a Salesman, there's nothing a Salesman likes better than a tall tale!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
sampson159

it could have happened like that but probably didnt.i resent the salesman comment.when has a salesman ever told a story that wasnt true?wink,wink!this forum biased against members of the sales industry.an outrage!wink,wink
Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Closest I ever got to an imploding TV was the time some friends and I took turns throwing rocks at a small 13" RCA I found in the dumpster. Nothing spectacular, the glass was slowly cracked and the vacuum let out.

However I found this video on youtube. Fast fwd to the 1:05 mark. They heave a brick at it and break the safety glass, then they heave another brick and implode the tube....the glass flies at least 2 ft. from the set. Beats anything I ever saw when it comes to an imploding CRT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHRxc...ure=plpp_video
Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Hey it was a story some old guy told me. Probably has some small amount of truth in it but the story seems to change little by little over the years.
Audiokarma