Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

1940s 10" sets for sale

Hello-

I have more TV sets than I have room to keep them, and more projects than time to finish them, so I want to sell some of my sets. Each set is as it was when I got it, except the GE that I may have worked on a bit in 1980 (when I put the knobs on it). Notes are below. You can pick up any set(s) here in the San Francisco area, or I could deliver within 100 miles if you pay for gas, or I will work with shippers you prefer. Greyhound is probably best, and I can probably pack sets for the cost of boxes and bubble wrap at Lowe's/Home Depot depending on the maximum size/weight they accept. Lets make this simple: $75 each or best offer, with discounts if you want more than one set. Thanks!

DeWald BT-100 (RCA 630TS clone)
-CRT tests medium-good. Some knobs missing.

GE 10T4 (wooden version of the "Locomotive" set)
-CRT tests good. Knobs are not original.

RCA 8-T-241
-CRT tests weak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeWald BT-100 front small.jpg (67.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DeWald BT-100 back small.jpg (64.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg GE 10T4 front small.jpg (60.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg GE 10T4 back small.jpg (67.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg RCA 8-T-241 front small.jpg (132.0 KB, 77 views)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dah-Yum...If you wasn't in Cally-Fornya, I'd be ALL OVER the wooden Locomotive..
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

The GE set is sold. I hope to try the other CRTs in an RCA set I have already restored to see how well they work in real life. I also may try my B&K 467 CRT rejuvenator in its mild "clean/balance" function after the tests.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I tested the CRTs from the RCA and DeWald sets in my 8TS30, and both look good in actual use. The 8TS30's CRT tests in the low end of good, in fact, and I have been happy with it. Here are pictures of the CRTs in operation:

8TS30 with its own CRT for comparison:

8TS30 with CRT from the DeWald BT-100:

8TS30 with CRT from the RCA 8-T-241:

Last edited by ChrisW6ATV; 04-04-2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Update the picture location, just for the heck of it.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Administrator

BIG thank you to Chris! My new DeWald is safe and sound in Buffalo NY

Shipped Greyhound, it transferred in Valencia, Phoenix, Denver, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and then home.

Here she is freshly unboxed . This is going to be a wintertime resto.....

While the electronics are being done, I'm going to send the cabinet out to be done professionally, with the original orange shellac. This one will be done right in every regard, I don't want to do a Formby's and poly....
Old 09-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Glad to see it make it there safely! You beat my record for safe Greyhound shipping. Mine was an RCA 21-T-7152 from Topeka to Tacoma, and I finally got it out of the inner carton all by myself. It was fine inside and out.

Last edited by Einar72; 09-06-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Model #
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Motorola Minion

Gee Chris,

I like that GE if you still have it. It would keep my 4 other 40s sets company.

I also have the same time issues with a 721TS and 8T246 acquired this year I have not done much with. A 9PC41 and Emerson sit waiting as well

I have a friend in Berkeley who would "hold" that for me whenever I got out his way to get it. He also might ship it but hate to impose that task on him....

What to do.....
Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Tim, I am glad to hear the DeWald and CRT arrived safely. That will be nice to see when you get it done.

Dave, I do not have the GE set anymore. I still have the 8-T-241, though.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

that does have a nice picture ,clear and sharp.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

On that DeWald, by the early 1930's most radio/tv furniture was using lacquer and toned lacquer. Are you sure that's shellac? They would have used shellac as a sealer, then lacquer over that.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Sure looks like it, and the finish is weathered exactly as old prewar radios were. I'll take advisement from the shop before the work is done.....this one is at least a couple months from that.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Workin' Late Again

The old finish test is a cotton ball moistened with denatured alcohol. It will soften shellac, wont effect lacquer much. Agree with Reece- lacquer was being used on most radio cabinets as early as the late 1920's.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Took me long enough, but the DeWald is finally on the bench. Cleanest chassis I have ever seen!!!

I started an 8TS30 and had some questions and needed to make a comparison, so I pulled the chassis on the DeWald. Well, as long as it's out, might as well get going on it. There's 3 feet of snow on the ground anyway, so it's good timing
Old 02-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Nice to hear that you are beginning the restoration.

I was almost going to suggest looking at the BT-100's power resistors in your discussion of the 8TS30 (at least, hoping that they are not also bad). Brilliant minds think alike!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Well, the restoration on the DeWald is almost done. Audio came up nicely, have HV, but saw some arcing under the 1B3 on a slow powerup. Tore it down and found that the 1 meg resistor under the 1B3 was open.

Replaced that, and now no arcing, but no raster, and the horizontal oscillator's not running. The only thing that I *didn't* check on this set for some reason is the big wirewound resistor behind the power transformer. Guessing that I've got an open in there.