Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwam Jones View Post
... it seems much of it was more than just the head unit - some of the older gear appears to have had a lot of boxes and such that did processing (control unit?) and without it, the head unit is no good.

I note also that some of the really old gear has either proprietary cable connectors, or use a huge-looking threaded shielded cable end instead of the BNC I'm used to seeing. Not sure if that also can be easily converted to an RCA input?

Anyway, all this to say that perhaps for a quick / cheap demo, a simple CCTV B&W security camera? Then if it works and I want to invest in an older unit for the right look - try a tube-based unit? Maybe I could get some guidance in that area...what to look for, etc.

Thanks again!
There were many cameras made that were self contained, but yes, some did have a separate control unit.

Regarding the connector, that should be only a mechanical adaptation issue - the output signal has been standardized since the first industrial cameras came out. Some cameras may have an output that is more than the standard 1 volt peak to peak, but that easily can be attenuated.

And thirdly, a quick trial with a working CCD unit if that is what's available, then chasing a tube unit that might need repair, DOES make sense.

Really, I think you have an excellent chance of success.