Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Free "New" TV

This is a no-name (really, it has no brand name on it at all) Chinese 5" bw portable with radio, never been out of the plastic wrapping. My stepmother gave me this the other day. Anybody want it? Free for cost of shipping. Let me know.

Last edited by bgadow; 01-07-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:04 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I actually have a whole "sub collection" of those....Someone on here called these "jellybean" sets (still don't get that). I just call them my "Cobys"....since even though there are like a HUNDRED brands of these, it seems the "Coby CX-TV1" is the actual reference design.

This one looks to be a silver one, so more likely a Coby than anything else. Both my silver ones are Coby sets. Mine is a collection of just anything that deviates from the original boring design (so usually cabinet colors). They also differ in that some have RCA A/V inputs....have charging circuits for ten "C' nicad batteries, etc. I have one that is clear purple, and I have built it into a REALLY weird toy with LEDs inside..and an embedded media player so it plays stuff off USB and SD memory cards. Had alot of fun building that one :-P

I did just score one that has a complete cassette machine on top...but is otherwise just a "stretched" version of the exact same set. I pick up these at swap meets for like $5 if I feel I need a couple "parts" sets for dirty pots, flybacks, CRTs or clean antennas. I do like having a couple of the "common" ones around even just to set around the house or take downstairs when working on some car project. I'll have it on whatever the home transmitter is on....Forbidden Planet, I Love lucy or something. I wouldn't be too upset if I knocked it off a fender to the ground by accident. I wouldn't want to do that to a Sony ANYTHING, or one of the Panasonics.

If you do PayPal....I'd have it for just the novelty of tracking it's USPS number, and adding it to the "don't mess with these" original working sets. These actually can USUALLY be dialed in quite nicely and show a respectable picture if it isn't one of the REALLY trimmed down versions. The ones from KB-Toys seem to really down to just the absolute basics and have all sorts of audio buzz, lousy sync and hit-or-miss tuning. Even those are still okay for parts though :-P

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:10 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
This is a no-name (really, it has no brand name on it at all) Chinese 5" bw portable with radio.
Sold by John DoeZo Co of China.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

AiboPet, I'll send you a PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 PM
"micro" and quirky

I PM'd you back.

I hope you get it, because I have tried to PM Eric before....but seem to think I'm not doing it right, or he's just too busy to reply me back about a little CRT I have been trying to find.

So sorta hope I replied correctly. Was just my work address where I have these sort of things shipped (I will FOR SURE get them...the FIRST time at work). Having things shipped to the house turns into multiple ATTEMPTS and then me driving 32 miles to go GET the item.

Usually you can always find the brand of this set on the white (or black) label on back. There are usually two labels...and the one directly behind the CRT is usually branded towards the top. Some don't have the name REAL obvious on the front like Coby or Curtiss. I even have an olive drab set from Bass Pro Shops for some reason. My fascination for these is firmly rooted in just how MANY of this SAME set exists for no real apparent reason. They seem to be like LED flashlights....and you can apparently have some Chinese company make your company a few hundred or thousands....as "your" company's product. I just find that funny. You see it with some of the "bigger" names....but not quite as frivolous as these. It's just odd to think these maybe cost ten bucks a piece by the pallet (I'm just guessing)....and really were the "last gasp" analog b/w CRT reference design. I've never seen a newer design truly analog only b/w CRT set.

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-08-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I PM'd you back.

I hope you get it, because I have tried to PM Eric before....but seem to think I'm not doing it right, or he's just too busy to reply me back about a little CRT I have been trying to find.
I haven't forgotten you, the CRT is here at work with me, a bit difficult to find the material to pack it with but it'll get to you eventually!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 PM
"micro" and quirky

DONE!

Sent you fifteen bucks. Only care it has a tracking number. I like watching these things make their way over to me :-)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got it! It ships off to its new home in CA Monday morning! My stepmother got this from Publishers Clearinghouse or something like that. She's always buying stuff like this from them, and maybe, just maybe, winning stuff sometimes?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 AM
"micro" and quirky

LOL....It'll have a home among a BUNCH of others like it....sorta like getting a fish for an aquarium. All different, but still the same. I'll hafta somehow identify THIS one as coming from a VK member since it's the first time I got something from someone here.

I was sorta curious why someone NOT into old TV sets would end up with one (the stepmother) anywhere within the last ten years. They would sorta be like getting CANDY CORN these days :-P
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I want to let Abiopet know that there is someone right now selling 10 broken miniature color TVs over at the Antique Radio Forum for a really cheap price . Since Abio is the only guy I know who's into the tiny sets , I wanted to pass this along in case you have not seen it .

I know not of the seller and have no interest in the sale other than to see the sets go to someone who is a dedicated collector of them .
Audiokarma
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM
"micro" and quirky

I'm familiar (barely) with "antigueradios.com"...but saw no reference to this in their "antique televisions discussion".

I had joined up THERE just before finding AK....and haven't really looked at it

I didn't feel I belonged at all to antique radio...having no antique radio but an old Hallicrafter S38....and owning no TV that could be called antique unless a Sony S8-301 might BARELY qualify.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi AbioPet ,
Sorry , and I didn't mean to send you on a seek and find , I probablly should have told you that they are listed in the for sale section of ARF , and not in the TV discussions section . They are Casio TV1000 model , 10 of them not working for $20 shipped . I'll try to do a link .....

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/view...?f=15&t=203487
Old 09-10-2012, 12:21 PM
"micro" and quirky

LOL...thanks for the link...but I sorta want ONE of those.....not really ten all pretty much guaranteed not working and not a single battery cover among all TEN

Was amusing to see the pics though :-P

Only "old" LCD set I have are TWO of the same little Citizen set with the flip-up b/w LCD you watch in a mirror. I had to buy TWO of those because the picture is SO LOUSY I swore the first one HAD to be broken....but nope. Those were CUTE, but absolutely HORRIBLE sets. Still glad I do have them though...just because they really were groundbreaking even for being so unwatchable.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

The TV-1000 has a horrible picture. It was Casio's first color LCD, and they were stupid to use a Passive Matrix Screen to compete with the Epson ET-10, which has an active Matrix TFT Screen.

It probably would be worth it to buy those just to get the Fluorescent Lamps.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
"micro" and quirky

Yeah...not really for me though. I have a few LCD sets....and want just a few that were "firsts"....but for some reason I just don't have anything for LCD sets. They seem "faceless" and with no charactor whatsoever. I do love my big 'ol 55" Sammy I have in front room as my regular set and for "entertaining"....but it's really just my "keeping up with the Joneses" thing....and keeping DOWN on the SDG&E bill (That 55" set and the COX box shows around 55-90W on the display of my little UPS connected to it)

LCD sets are small.....flat..."neat" and so portable, but I can't really get into 'em beyond a few utilitarian purposes. I would NEVER have a CRT computer monitor again, because the newer LCD high contrast panels DO appeal to me in that application.