Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2012, 12:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

CTC 9 kenbridge

I'm finally starting work on my CTC 9 after having it for over a year. When I got it the main problem it had, was it would loose picture (go to a blank raster) and sound intermittently. It happened more frequently on higher frequency channels 7-13, than 2-6.

After a year, it would hardly hold the picture and sound for a few seconds, even on ch 2, and no color at all. The remote never worked, but to turn the volume down when I hit the channel button.

Today, I first pulled the osc tube in the tuner, and found a weak 6GH8 in there for the 6EA8, and a 6BZ7 replacing the 6BC8. After putting in a good 6EA8 one problem was solved and the picture and sound would stay put, but sound was weak and no color. After putting in a good 6BC8 I had good sound, and color, but the color sync won't hold, after a while I either get no color, or those multicolored horizontal bars moving down the screen. I'm hoping I can just fix that with adjustment.

I also found the crt socket is cracked and held together with tape, but I have a nice replacement one still in the original wrapping.

Strangely the original electrolytic cans are actually working fine, and not even heating up. But seeing as I'm pulling the chassis anyway I can't see not recapping, and just winding up having to pull the chassis again later.

Also, I found a sticker inside saying the CRT was replaced in 1961, I wonder what happened, I wouldn't have expected the 21CYP22 to have gone bad in 2 years?

It's very clean inside, with a whopping 33 tubes in total