View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Reading the pages of those HDMI to composite converters none of them actually mention HDCP support. I think only one of them actually mentioned bluray.

I don't think they actually can offer HDCP support (at least not within the terms of the license) as it kind of defeats the purpose of HDCP in the first place.

The only converters I can think of (not that I've searched recently) are the HDFury products. A quick google now suggests they may be having licensing/dmca related issues (not that I dug very deep). They do appear to be still available, but they are not cheap.

Another issue you may have is that HDMI doesn't seem to support 4:3, at least not by default. In the past I've tried connecting a HDMI DVD player (that doesn't enforce HDCP) to 4:3 LCD panels with native resolutions of 640 x 480 and 800 x 600 (via a passive HDMI to DVI adapter). With the DVD player set to 4:3, 480p playing a disc correctly encoded as 4:3 the image is always squashed.

The same player, the same disc, connected via component (still 480p) the image is full screen as it should be.