View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I am very much aware that getting away from my house and neighborhood would cut out a lot of RFI noise, but due to my health issues that isn't really an option. Power lines run across the back of my lot, and the house is full of wall-warts, ceiling fans, Wi-Fi, cordless phones, and other offenders. So I have found two comfortable spots in which I have to orient the radio a certain direction, and keep it in contact with my body for best results.

My "clear" does not indicate the absence of noise, of course, but means that I can easily hear every word spoken. 'Pretty clear' means I miss some words, but not many, whether from increased noise, fading, pumping, etc. Occasionally it means very little to virtually no noise.

I saw someone else mention but not explain "the old RST method" so I will be looking at that link soon, as well as them all. I realize there are folks out there who would say, "just stream it", which is why I wanted to post in this forum rather than the AK where I usually post. I find no fun in streaming, but do use it sometimes for music in the bedroom during sleep - I sleep better that way.

I wish my radio did have a signal strength indicator, but I'm pretty happy with its performance. What other models might I consider that would include such an indicator? I don't really see me buying anything more than a couple hundred bucks or so, and less is always better. Though you never know.

I do also have a Panasonic RB-40 multi-band, double conversion (or something like that) but don't find enough stations on SW to keep me interested. I haven't tried it for MW dxing yet, since I've found the CCrane-EP's 8"-long ferrite bar antenna with the strange adjustment knob so useful and effective.

I doubt a longwire is in my future since I can't diy it and it's hard (and pricey) to find folks to properly install most any type antenna.

EDIT: The links are very helpful. Thanks again!

Last edited by musichal; 09-23-2016 at 01:40 PM.