View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 01:47 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
This may be a dopey question but are you sure the subcarrier dots were completely absent from the bright areas. The human eye is less sensitive to tiny differences in brightness than a machine. If you rescaled the brightness contrast of the image such that grays are black and full white is white I wonder if any near white subcarrier dots could be found hiding in the full white of the image?
I asked the same question about the high quality scans. Everything on the film was well within the dynamic range of the scanner. I wish there were some dots left, but I tried increasing the highlight contrast until all that was left was noise. The scans were high bit depth, not tweaked to look good on a DVD, not an MPEG-coded version, but recorded as they would be for movie intermediates. So, if there was anything on the film, it would be in the digital file and we would have been able to pull it out.

Since these were dupes, there is still the possibility that the dots were on the original, but it has never been found and probably doesn't exist.
Audiokarma