View Single Post
Old 09-18-2021, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've seen a bunch of those 20's toasters but I've never bought/tried one. They probably work okay, but with no automatic shutoff/eject they're not super practical/safe. It would be pretty easy to burn your toast if you don't baby sit it , then you'd have to manually flip it if you want both sides toasted. If you let your self get too distracted too long or forget and leave the room with it running you could comeback to your toast (and possibly other flammable items nearby) on fire.
Personally if I had that it would be for display and VERY rare use/demonstration.

The best vintage toaster for daily use IMO is the Sunbeam Radiant Control... literally set your bread in it and it sucks it in, toasts it to exact set level (regardless of changes in bread type), then ejects it when done.

Back when I was a kid I had (I think I still have it somewhere) a 60s GE toaster/toaster oven. Instead of the conventional II toast slot it used a - - toast slot. The oven was a drawer on the bottom and the front looked sort of like a face. It worked good for a few months then started humming one day and at the end of the cycle the plug burst into an electrical fire (it was a very memorable experience).
About 6 years later I grafted a new cord on, but it was humming still and the cord was getting hot so back in the closet it went. Someday I should try and find and fix it.
We had a Sunbeam Radiant Control when they first come out, around the early 50's. We used it a lot in the first 10 years and then it wouldn't toast the bread consistently. The first slices would come out too light. Reset the control and it came out too dark.
It really was the best toaster available!